Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Integrate gives wrong results


Integrate[a/(Sin[t]^2 + a^2), {t, 0, 2 Pi}]


$$\int_0^{2 \pi } \frac{a}{a^2+\sin ^2(t)} \, dt$$


gives $0$


This cannot be true. What is going on?


If I insert a number into a, it gives a reasonable result:


NIntegrate[2/(Sin[t]^2 + 4), {t, 0, 2 Pi}]

give 2.80993



Answer



$Version


(*
Out[228]= "8.0 for Microsoft Windows (64-bit) (October 7, 2011)"
*)

The result provided by Mathematica is correct:


Integrate[a/(a^2 + Sin[t]^2), {t, 0, 2 π}]

(*
Out[213]= (2 π)/(Sqrt[1 + 1/a^2] a)

*)

Now the same procedure as "always" which "explains" the zero result. The indefinite integral is


Integrate[a/(a^2 + Sin[t]^2), t]

(*
Out[214]= ArcTan[(Sqrt[1 + a^2] Tan[t])/a]/Sqrt[1 + a^2]
*)

This result is not continuous for real a. In this graph we can see the jumps as well as the necessary additional terms to restore continuity.



The jump must be determined by taking (directed) limits. Assuming first $a>0$ gives


Simplify[Limit[ArcTan[(Sqrt[1 + a^2] Tan[t])/a]/Sqrt[1 + a^2], 
t -> π/2, Direction -> +1], a > 0] -
Simplify[Limit[ArcTan[(Sqrt[1 + a^2] Tan[t])/a]/Sqrt[1 + a^2],
t -> π/2, Direction -> -1], a > 0]

(*
Out[408]= π/Sqrt[1 + a^2]
*)


and therefore


With[{a = 1/2}, 
Plot[{ArcTan[(Sqrt[1 + a^2] Tan[t])/a]/Sqrt[1 + a^2],
ArcTan[(Sqrt[1 + a^2] Tan[t])/a]/Sqrt[1 + a^2] + π/Sqrt[1 + a^2],
ArcTan[(Sqrt[1 + a^2] Tan[t])/a]/Sqrt[1 + a^2] + (2 π)/Sqrt[
1 + a^2]}, {t, 0, 2 π}]]

150601_plot_int.jpg


The blue (lower) curve is the original antiderivative, the red (middle) curve has π/Sqrt[1+a^2] added, and is the continiuous continuation between π/2 and 3π/2, finally the brown (upper) curve does it for the rest adding again the same amount π/Sqrt[1+a^2].


Hence taking the difference of the antiderivative at the endpoints according to the fundamental theorem of calculus would lead to zero on the blue curve, and is only correct for the continuous version leading to the correct result given in the beginning.



EDIT #1


The case $a<0$ need not be discussed separately because of the (anti)symmetry of the integral.


Note that because the antiderivative vanishes at both ends the integral is equal to the "total" jump, which here is twice the amount of the jump at $\pi/2$.


This and other examples point to the (tentative) rule: if the result of Integrate[] is zero despite the fact that the integrand is positive check for jumps and calculate them using the directed Limits. The integral will then be the sum of the jumps over the whole interval.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?