Skip to main content

bugs - Why does one of my Manipulate integer variables get turned into a real?


Bug introduced in 9.0 or earlier and persisting through 11.0.1 or later




I'm developing code for manipulating graphs. Spot the difference in the 2 Manipulates below:


Manipulate[

{n, m},
{{n, 10, "no of vertices"}, 1, 18, 1},
{{m, n, "number of edges"}, n, n (n - 1)/2 , 1}
(* using the +/-/slider for the number of edges does not generate Reals
but only Integers as expected *)]

first image of Manipulate


this first example works as expected but


Manipulate[
{n, m},

{{n, 10, "no of vertices"}, 1, 18, 1},
{{m, n, "number of edges"}, n - 1, n (n - 1) /2, 1}
(* using the +/-/slider for the number of edges now generates Reals
not Integers: what gives? *)]

second image of Manipulate


turns my nice integers into reals as soon as I change the number of edges. I can turn this back into an integer when that's what I need, but I'd prefer not to. Naturally I have a more complex task to complete but these examples are simple enough to illustrate the issue.


Version: Mathematica 9.0.1.0


Platform: Mac



Answer




This is an example of unintended behavior in Mathematica that the developers are aware of. There are a number of workarounds. The simplest is to wrap a function around the appropriate bounds; instead of


Manipulate[m, {n, {10}}, {m, n - 1, 2 n, 1}]

which illustrates the problem, try


Manipulate[Floor@m, {n, {10}}, {m, n - 1, 2 n, 1}]

A solution can also be pushed into the controller itself:


Manipulate[m, {n, {10}}, {{m, 9}, Dynamic[Slider[#1, {n - 1, 2 n, 1}]] &}]

Thanks for this feedback and suggestions are due to Karl Isensee.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?