Skip to main content

functions - Get leading series expansion term?


Given a function f[x], I would like to have a function leadingSeries that returns just the leading term in the series around x=0. For example:


leadingSeries[(1/x + 2)/(4 + 1/x^2 + x)]


x



and


leadingSeries[(1/x + 2 + (1 - 1/x^3)/4)/(4 + x)]



-(1/(16 x^3))



Is there such a function in Mathematica? Or maybe one can implement it efficiently?


EDIT


I finally went with the following implementation, based on Carl Woll's answer:


lds[ex_,x_]:=( (ex/.x->(x+O[x]^2))/.SeriesData[U_,Z_,L_List,Mi_,Ma_,De_]:>SeriesData[U,Z,{L[[1]]},Mi,Mi+1,De]//Quiet//Normal)

The advantage is, that this one also properly works with functions whose leading term is a constant:



lds[Exp[x],x]


1




Answer



Update 1


Updated to eliminate SeriesData and to not return additional terms


Perhaps you could use:


leadingSeries[expr_, x_] := Normal[expr /. x->(x+O[x]^2) /. a_List :> Take[a, 1]]


Then for your examples:


leadingSeries[(1/x + 2)/(4 + 1/x^2 + x), x]
leadingSeries[Exp[x], x]
leadingSeries[(1/x + 2 + (1 - 1/x^3)/4)/(4 + x), x] // TeXForm


x


1


$-\frac{1}{16 x^3}$




One more example:


leadingSeries[x^100 (1/x + 2 + (1 - 1/x^2)/4)/(4 + x), x] // TeXForm


$-\frac{x^{98}}{16}$



This last example shows that leadingSeries works even when the leading term has a very high order. Using something like Series[expr, {x, 0, 1}] will not get the leading order, although it does return something that would be useful as a stepping stone towards the answer.


Update 2


Updated to support arbitrary expansion points



Here is a version for arbitrary expansion points:


leadingSeries[expr_, {x_, x0_}] := Normal[
expr /.
x -> Series[x, {x, x0, 1}] /.
Verbatim[SeriesData][a__, {b_, ___}, c__] :> SeriesData[a, {b}, c]
]

For example:


leadingSeries[Gamma[x],{x,Infinity}]//TeXForm



$\sqrt{2 \pi } \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} e^{x \left(-\log \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)-1\right)}$



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...