Skip to main content

Using Java log4j in Mathematica


Someone has a code example of how log4j can be used to create logs in Mathematica?


RLink uses it, as can be checked in initLogger[] function, in this file:


SystemOpen@FileNameJoin@{DirectoryName@DirectoryName@FindFile["RLink`"], "RLink.m"}


But it's not a stand alone code. If someone has a simpler one, I would appreciate.



Answer



Minimal code


Here is a minimal code (partly adopted from RLink), to get you started. First, load JLink:


Needs["JLink`"]
InstallJava[]

Here is the code:


ClearAll[logIt];

logIt[logger_,msg_String,mode_String]:=
Block[{trace, debug, info, warn, error, fatal},
With[{
method = mode /. {
"TRACE" -> trace,
"DEBUG" -> debug,
"INFO" -> info,
"WARN" -> warn,
"FATAL" -> fatal,
_ :> Return[$Failed, Block]

}},
JavaBlock@logger@method[JavaNew["java.lang.String", msg]]
]
];

logIt[logger_,msg_String]:=logIt[logger, msg, "INFO"];

And the initLogger function:


ClearAll[initLogger];
initLogger[logger_, logFile_]:=

Module[{},
logger@removeAllAppenders[];
logger@addAppender[
JavaNew["org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender"]
];
logger@addAppender[
JavaNew[
"org.apache.log4j.FileAppender",
JavaNew["org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout"],
logFile

]
];
logIt[logger, "Logger initialized"];
];

Example of use


Here is an example (I assume that log4j is already on the classpath, which is usually so, because it is used also internally in Mathematica):


LoadJavaClass["org.apache.log4j.Logger"]

Now create a logger instance:



logger = Logger`getLogger["MyApp"]

(* « JavaObject[org.apache.log4j.Logger]» *)

and the log file:


$logFile = FileNameJoin[{$TemporaryDirectory, "mylog.txt"}];

Now, initialize the logger:


initLogger[logger, $logFile]


You can test:


Import[$logFile, "String"]

(* "INFO - Logger initialized" *)

Now log something:


Do[
If[i < 5,
logIt[logger, "i = " <> ToString [i]],
logIt[logger, "fatal error", "FATAL"]; Break[]

],
{i, 1, 10}
]

check:


Import[$logFile, "String"]

"INFO - Logger initialized
INFO - i = 1
INFO - i = 2

INFO - i = 3
INFO - i = 4
FATAL - fatal error"

You can do more interesting things with loggers with log4j, but this example should get you started.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...