Skip to main content

performance tuning - Faster alternatives for DayOfWeek


It has been noticed on several occasions that DayOfWeek function is rather slow when applied to a large list of dates, e.g. in this recent question. What faster alternatives do we have in such situations?



Answer



Just a literal implementation of a formula for the day of the week:


Clear[dow];

dow[{year_, month_, day_, _ : 0, _ : 0, _ : 0}] :=
Module[{Y = If[month == 1 || month == 2, year - 1, year],
m = Mod[month + 9, 12] + 1, y, c,
s = {Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday}},
y = Mod[Y, 100];
c = Quotient[Y, 100];
s[[Mod[day + Floor[2.6 m - 0.2] + y + Quotient[y, 4] + Quotient[c, 4] - 2 c, 7] + 1]]];

Seems to give a 5-fold speed increase:


d = RandomDates[100000];

DayOfWeek /@ d // Short // AbsoluteTiming
dow /@ d // Short // AbsoluteTiming


{19.5781250,{Thursday,Thursday,Sunday,Friday,<<99992>>,Tuesday,Saturday,Saturday,Thursday}}


{3.7968750,{Thursday,Thursday,Sunday,Friday,<<99992>>,Tuesday,Saturday,Saturday,Thursday}}



Addition


Your function is readily compilable:


dowc = Compile[{{year, _Integer}, {month, _Integer}, {day, _Integer}},

Module[
{Y, m, y, c, s},
Y = If[month == 1 || month==2, year-1, year];
m = Mod[month + 9, 12] + 1;
y = Mod[Y, 100]; c = Quotient[Y, 100];
Mod[day + Floor[2.6 m-0.2] + y + Quotient[y, 4] + Quotient[c, 4]-2 c,7]+1
],
CompilationTarget -> "C",
RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable},
Parallelization -> True

];

In[286]:= dowc @@@ d[[All, 1 ;; 3]] // Short // AbsoluteTiming
Out[286]= {0.136741,{6,4,5,2,4,5,3,7,<<99984>>,5,4,2,4,3,2,5,6}}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...