Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - finding an argument of a complex number


What is the simplest way to find the argument of the following function? ((1 - E^((I π (1 - α))/(β - α)) z)/(1 - E^(-((I π (1 - α))/(β - α))) z)) as I tried the polar way, but it is so complicated and I didn't reach the result yet.



Thank you.



Answer



Here's one path... define your function and translate to trig form:


f[x_, z_] := ExpToTrig[((1 - 
E^((I π (1 - α))/(β - α)) z)/(1 -
E^(-((I π (1 - α))/(β - α))) z))]//.
(π (1 - α))/(-α + β) -> x

using a replacement of a new real variable x for the more complicated expression involving alphas and betas. This gives f[x,z] as


 (1 - z Cos[x] - I z Sin[x])/(1 - z Cos[x] + I z Sin[x])


Now break this apart so that it has real denominator (using a function from the help files for the Conjugate function)


 toRealDenominator[rat_] := 
With[{c = ComplexExpand[Conjugate[Denominator[rat]]]},
Expand[Numerator[rat] c]/Expand[Denominator[rat] c]]

And so


Simplify[toRealDenominator[f[x, z]]]

gives a complicated expression. But, since we're only interested in the phase, and the denominator is real-valued, we can just use the Numerator. Hence



Simplify[Numerator[toRealDenominator[f[x, z]]]]

gives


(-1 + z Cos[x] + I z Sin[x])^2

Now this is something squared, so the phase is 2 times the phase of that something. Hence


ComplexExpand[-1 + z Cos[x] + I z Sin[x] //. z -> a + b I]

gives the answer


-1 + a Cos[x] - b Sin[x] + I (b Cos[x] + a Sin[x])


For any z (defined via a and b) and any x (defined via alpha and beta) this is a complex number in the form of A + B I and so you can find its phase using Arg or ArcTan.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...