Skip to main content

simplifying expressions - Separating exponential terms


Suppose I have a lot of expressions multiplied by factors such as:


$$e^{-i\theta[1]-i\theta[2] - i\theta[3]-i\theta[4]-i\theta[5]}$$


I would like to separate this into a product of exponentials of the form


$$e^{-i\theta[1]}e^{-i\theta[2]}...$$


before employing the function ExpToTrig and making substitutions to the result trigonometric functions.



However, since I plan to apply the tangent half angle substitution (cf. my previous question Simplifying Expressions for FindMinimum), I would like the arguments to involve only one variable at a time. In particular, I tried using ComplexExpand on the function to express the trigonometric functions as functions of a single variable, but it expands the entire function out.


In short, I would like to keep the simplified form, but want to expand the exponential as per the above without having to expand the entire expression.


For reference, here is my function


(E^(-I θ[1] - I θ[2] - I θ[3] - I θ[4] - I (θ[5] - θ[6]))
Abs[Sin[ϕ[6]]]^2 (1 - E^(I (θ[1] - θ[6]))
Cot[ϕ[6]/2] Tan[ϕ[1]/2]) (Cos[θ[1]] + I Sin[θ[1]] + E^(I θ[2])
Tan[ϕ[1]/2] Tan[ϕ[2]/2]) (Cos[θ[2]] + I Sin[θ[2]] + E^(I θ[3])
Tan[ϕ[2]/2] Tan[ϕ[3]/2]) (Cos[θ[3]] + I Sin[θ[3]] + E^(I θ[4])
Tan[ϕ[3]/2] Tan[ϕ[4]/2]) (Cos[θ[5] - θ[6]] + I Sin[θ[5] - θ[6]] - Cot[ϕ[6]/2]
Tan[ϕ[5]/2]) (Cos[θ[4]] + I Sin[θ[4]] + E^(I θ[5])

Tan[Ï•[4]/2] Tan[Ï•[5]/2]))/
(2 Sqrt[(1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[1]/2]]^2) (1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[2]/2]]^2)]
Sqrt[(1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[2]/2]]^2) (1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[3]/2]]^2)]
Sqrt[(1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[3]/2]]^2) (1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[4]/2]]^2)]
Sqrt[(1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[4]/2]]^2) (1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[5]/2]]^2)]
Sqrt[(1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[1]/2]]^2) (1 + Cos[Ï•[6]])]
Sqrt[(1 + Abs[Tan[Ï•[5]/2]]^2) (1 + Cos[Ï•[6]])])

Answer



Update


In the interest of simplifying the code somewhat, I've modified one of the replacements. For instance, we can do



expr2 = Thread[expr1, Plus] /. Plus -> Times

or


epxr2 = expr1 /. expT[Plus[a__]] :> Times @@ expT /@ a

rather than


expr2 = expr1 //. {expT[a_ + b_] :> expT[a] expT[b]}

So:


f[expr_] := Thread[expr /. Power[E, a_] :> expT@Expand@a, Plus] /. Plus -> Times /. expT[a_] :> ExpToTrig@Exp@a


or


f[expr_] := expr /. Power[E, a_] :> expT@Expand@a /. expT[Plus[a__]] :> Times @@ expT /@ a /. expT[a_] :> ExpToTrig@Exp@a

Original Post


As Bill commented, Mathematica likes to keep Exp[]'s together. Here's a workaround that I've used in the past. We replace Exp with a dummy head expT, do the re-write using replacement rules, and in the process apply ExpToTrig.


For instance, if


expr = Exp[-I (4 + a) + c];

we first do



expr1 = expr /. Power[E, a_] :> expT@Expand@a
(* expT[-4 I - I a + c] *)

Then, we separate the terms inside expT using ReplaceRepeated:


expr2 = expr1 //. {expT[a_ + b_] :> expT[a] expT[b]}
(* expT[-4 I] expT[-I a] expT[c] *)

Finally, we convert back to Exp and apply ExpToTrig:


expr2 /. expT[a_] :> ExpToTrig@Exp@a
(* (Cos[4] - I Sin[4]) (Cos[a] - I Sin[a]) (Cosh[c] + Sinh[c]) *)


We can do all at once, of course. Define


f[expr_] := expr /. Power[E, a_] :> expT@a //. {expT[a_ + b_] :> expT[a] expT[b]} /. expT[a_] :> ExpToTrig@Exp@a

in which case


f[expr]
(* (Cos[4] - I Sin[4]) (Cos[a] - I Sin[a]) (Cosh[c] + Sinh[c]) *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?