Skip to main content

differential equations - How to prevent instability blow up in NDSolve?


I have the following code to solve a PDE:


e = 2.5;
xmax = 5;
ymax = 5;
sol[x_, y_] = f[x, y] /. First@NDSolve[{
-D[f[x, y], x, x] - D[f[x, y], y, y] == e f[x, y],
Derivative[0, 1][f][x, -ymax] == Cos[\[Pi]/(2 xmax) x],
f[x, -ymax] == 0,

f[-xmax, y] == 0,
f[xmax, y] == 0
}, f[x, y], {x, -xmax, xmax}, {y, -ymax, ymax}]

I'd expect to get a Sin[]-like solution in y direction, but what I get instead is this:


Plot3D[sol[x, y], {x, -xmax, xmax}, {y, -ymax, ymax}, PlotRange -> {-1, 1}, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "f"},  MaxRecursion -> 3]

enter image description here


If I try using something like MaxStepSize -> 0.25, then the blow-up is just more frequent in x direction, and becomes visible at even smaller y values:


enter image description here



What can I do to prevent this blow-up and make NDSolve give the expected solution?


EDIT


In fact, the problem above is a minimal example showing the instability. What I'd actually like to solve is the equation with additional +U[x,y]f[x,y] on the LHS, where U[x,y]=-70Exp[-x^2-y^2]. I.e. the equation would look like


-D[f[x, y],x,x]-D[f[x,y],y,y]-70Exp[-x^2-y^2]f[x,y]==e f[x,y]

So, the answer I'm looking for should be extensible to this case. The answer by @xzczd solves the problem with minimal example, but unfortunately fails to extend to this one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...