Skip to main content

programming - How to improve this code for solving the "Mr.S and Mr.P" puzzle?




Mr.S and Mr. P puzzle — "Formalization of two Puzzles Involving Knowledge", McCarthy, John (1987)


We pick two numbers $a$ and $b$, such that $a\geq b$ and both numbers are within the range $(2,99)$. We give Mr.P the product $a b$ and give Mr.S the sum $a+b$. Then following dialog takes place:


Mr.P: I don't know the numbers
Mr.S: I knew you didn't know. I don'tknow either.
Mr.P: Now I know the numbers
Mr.S: Now I know them too


Can we find the numbers $a$ and $b$?



I tried to do this, but it is very slow. I am sure there must be a simpler way.


Clear[pool, f1, f2, f3];

pool = Join @@ Table[{i, j}, {i, 2, 99}, {j, 2, i}];

f1[x_] := Length@Select[pool, Times @@ # == x &] != 1
f2[x_] := Length@Select[pool, Plus @@ # == x &] != 1
f3[x_] := And @@ (f1 /@ (Times @@@ Select[pool, Plus @@ # == x &]))
f4[x_] := Length@Select[Select[pool, Times @@ # == x &], f3[#[[1]] + #[[2]]] &] == 1
f5[x_] := Length@Select[Select[pool, Plus @@ # == x &], f4[#[[1]]*#[[2]]] &] == 1

Select[pool,
f1[#[[1]]*#[[2]]] && f2[#[[1]] + #[[2]]] && f3[#[[1]] + #[[2]]] &&

f4[#[[1]]*#[[2]]] && f5[#[[1]] + #[[2]]] &] // Timing

Answer



I tried to understand the other two solutions, but honestly, I couldn't. So I tried to write a version that is easier to understand.


EDIT: I've refactored the code a little, primarily pulling out the "knowledge operators" personKnowsSolution and personKnowsProperty. I'm not really following McCarthy's axiomatization of knowledge, this is just my ad-hoc way of expressing "knowledge" in Mathematica.


Clear[personKnowsSolution, personKnowsProperty, mrP, mrS]
personKnowsSolution[informationFilter_, possibilities_] :=
Join @@ Select[GatherBy[possibilities, informationFilter], Length[#] == 1 &]
personKnowsProperty[informationFilter_, possibilities_, property_] :=
Select[possibilities, property[informationFilter[#]] &]
mrP[{a_, b_}] := a*b

mrS[{a_, b_}] := a + b
(
allPossibilities = Join @@ Table[{i, j}, {i, 2, 99}, {j, 2, i}];

(* Mr. P doesn't know the solution *)
mrPWouldKnowSolution = personKnowsSolution[mrP, allPossibilities];
mrPDoesntKnowSolution = Complement[allPossibilities, mrPWouldKnowSolution];

(* Mr. S doesn't know the solution *)
mrSWouldKnowSolution = personKnowsSolution[mrS, allPossibilities];

mrSDoesntKnowSolution = Complement[allPossibilities, mrSWouldKnowSolution];

(* Mr. S knows Mr. P doesn't know the solution *)
sumsWhereMrPWouldKnowTheSolution = Union[mrS /@ mrPWouldKnowSolution];
mrSKnowsMrPDoesntKnow =
personKnowsProperty[mrS, mrSDoesntKnowSolution,
Not[MemberQ[sumsWhereMrPWouldKnowTheSolution, #]] &];

(* Given that, Mr. P knows the solution *)
mrPKnowsTheSolution = personKnowsSolution[mrP, mrSKnowsMrPDoesntKnow];


(* Given that, Mr. S knows the solution *)
mrSKnowsTheSolution = personKnowsSolution[mrS, mrPKnowsTheSolution]
) // Timing

Output: {0.063, {{13, 4}}}


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...