Skip to main content

plotting - Visualization of Bivariate Distributions


I know it is perfectly possible to show the bivariate probability distributions in MMA. But my question is can we show each dimension of distribution in 2D dimension while we are showing the 3D plot? The same as here:


enter image description here


How we can have the 2D histograms in the sides and 3D histogram in between?



Answer



You can also try this:



Generate yor data:


data = RandomVariate[\[ScriptD] = 
MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{1, 0.9}, {0.9, 2}}], 10^4];

To improve a little bit the final image, you might want to introduce lighting vectors:


lightSources = {
{"Directional", White,Scaled[{1, 0, 1}]},
{"Directional", White,Scaled[{1, .5, 1}]},
{"Directional", White, Scaled[{.5, 0, 1}]}
};


Create the 3D histogram


G1 = Histogram3D[data, {0.25}, "PDF", ColorFunction -> "Rainbow", 
PlotRange -> {{-4, 4}, {-4, 4}, All}, ImageSize -> Medium,
Boxed -> False, Lighting -> lightSources]

Create the individual histograms


G3 = Histogram[Transpose[data][[1]], {-4, 4, .25}, "Probability", 
ColorFunction -> Function[{height}, ColorData["Rainbow"][height]],
Axes -> False]

G4 = Histogram[Transpose[data][[2]], {-4, 4, .25}, "Probability",
ColorFunction -> Function[{height}, ColorData["Rainbow"][height]],
Axes -> False]

Show them all together:


G5 = Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[], Texture[G3], 
Polygon[{{4, 4, 0}, {-4, 4, 0}, {-4, 4, 0.2}, {4, 4, 0.2}},
VertexTextureCoordinates -> {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, 1}, {0, 1}}]},
Axes -> False, Boxed -> False];
G6 = Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[], Texture[G4],

Polygon[{{-4, 4, 0}, {-4, -4, 0}, {-4, -4, 0.2}, {-4, 4, 0.2}},
VertexTextureCoordinates -> {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, 1}, {0, 1}}]},
Axes -> False, Boxed -> False];
Show[G1, G5, G6]

enter image description here


EDITED


If you want a strict 2D representation of the data you can try this:


DH = DensityHistogram[data, {-4, 4, .25}, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow", Frame -> False];
GraphicsGrid[{{G3,}, {DH, Rotate[G4, -.5 Pi]}}]


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...