Skip to main content

equation solving - NDSolve solution violates initial conditions


I have the following code:


solution = NDSolve[{5269.333333333333` Cos[a[t]] + 1.` Cos[a[t]] l[t] + 
83.33333333333333` Cos[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[1][c][t]^2 +
172.66666666666666` Derivative[2][a][t] +
8.` Cos[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[2][b][t] ==
8.` Sin[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[1][b][t]^2 +
83.33333333333333` Sin[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[2][c][t],
Cos[b[t]] l[t] + 6 Cos[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[2][a][t] +
8 Derivative[2][b][t] ==

64 Cos[b[t]] + 6 Sin[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[1][a][t]^2,
1.` Sin[c[t]] + 0.015625` Derivative[2][c][t] ==
0.03125` Cos[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[1][a][t]^2 +
0.03125` Sin[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[2][a][t],
6 Sin[a[t]] + 8 Sin[b[t]] == 3 Sqrt[2],
4 a[0] == \[Pi], b[0] == 0, c[0] == 0,
Derivative[1][a][0] == 0,
Derivative[1][b][0] == 0,
Derivative[1][c][0] == 0},
{a[t], b[t], c[t], l[t]},

{t, 0., 0.25}, Method -> {"IndexReduction" -> Automatic}];

asol[t_] = a[t] /. Flatten[solution];
Print["a[0]=", asol[0] , "= and a'[t]=", Derivative[1][asol][0]]

Note that I have a'[t] = Derivative[1][a][0] == 0 among the initial conditions. Yet, the output of this cell is


a[0]=0.785398= and a'[t]=6.06109

a'[t] != 0! I tried restarting Mathematica and pasting this into a new notebook, same thing. When I plot a[t], it indeed trends up instead of starting with a slope of 0. I suspect the odds of me discovering a bug in NDSolve the first time I use it are about 0 (or 0.`5) so I suspect I am not using it right.


What am I doing wrong here? Why is Mathematica giving me a solution that is NOT a solution? Any pointer appreciated.




Answer



Use the method option


Method -> {"IndexReduction" -> {Automatic, "ConstraintMethod" -> "Projection"}}

This forces the equations to be incorporated as constraints. See tutorial/NDSolveDAE#128085219. Depending on the version, you might need to us Rationalize to make the coefficients exact to avoid 1/0 errors. (In general, I avoid machine precision coefficients when doing algebra, especially in a case like this where there's numerical inconsistency. Full code below.)


With this setting I get the following:


Print["a[0]=", asol[0], "= and a'[t]=", Derivative[1][asol][0]]


a[0]=0.785398= and a'[t]=-2.77556*10^-17




Update: Code dump


solution = 
NDSolve[Rationalize@{5269.333333333333` Cos[a[t]] +
1.` Cos[a[t]] l[t] +
83.33333333333333` Cos[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[1][c][t]^2 +
172.66666666666666` Derivative[2][a][t] +
8.` Cos[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[2][b][t] ==
8.` Sin[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[1][b][t]^2 +

83.33333333333333` Sin[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[2][c][t],
Cos[b[t]] l[t] + 6 Cos[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[2][a][t] +
8 Derivative[2][b][t] ==
64 Cos[b[t]] + 6 Sin[a[t] + b[t]] Derivative[1][a][t]^2,
1.` Sin[c[t]] + 0.015625` Derivative[2][c][t] ==
0.03125` Cos[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[1][a][t]^2 +
0.03125` Sin[a[t] - c[t]] Derivative[2][a][t],
6 Sin[a[t]] + 8 Sin[b[t]] == 3 Sqrt[2], 4 a[0] == \[Pi],
b[0] == 0, c[0] == 0, Derivative[1][a][0] == 0,
Derivative[1][b][0] == 0, Derivative[1][c][0] == 0}, {a[t], b[t],

c[t], l[t]}, {t, 0., 0.25},
Method -> {"IndexReduction" -> {Automatic,
"ConstraintMethod" -> "Projection"}}];

asol[t_] = a[t] /. Flatten[solution];
Print["a[0]=", asol[0], "= and a'[t]=", Derivative[1][asol][0]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...