Skip to main content

Efficient image Import


I have several sets of 20 images I need to import.


enter image description here



Each time they have different categories.


"Name"<>"Cat"<>"No"


Electric B 1 for example.


I need to create lists that contain the images for those different categories.


As of now this is what i am doing :


importOne[set_, cat_, num_] := 
ImageResize[
Import[FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[], set,
set <> cat <> ToString[num] <> ".png"}]], 128]




ElectricB = importOne["Electric", "B", #] & /@ Range[6];
ElectricC = importOne["Electric", "C", #] & /@ Range[5];
ElectricN = importOne["Electric", "N", #] & /@ Range[5];
ElectricE = importOne["Electric", "E", #] & /@ Range[4];

And then, thanks to previous question/answers :


enter image description here


What would be a more efficient mean to import automatically for different sets ?



As of now I need to repeat this operation for each set.



Answer



Make your filenames unambiguously parsable, e.g. by consistently using some delimeters like underscores or something. A typical file name can look like "Electric_B_3.png". EDIT If you have no control over the file names, use string patterns as described by other answers, but in the long-term you may benefit from creating your own robust naming scheme END EDIT


Then write a function that would parse a single file name, something like:


fileNameParse[fname_String, delim_String: "_"] :=
StringSplit[FileBaseName[fname], delim]

Then, Map it on FileNames["*.png", {your-dir}].


Finally, apply your importOne on the level one:


importOne@@@Map[fileNameParse, FileNames["*.png", {your-dir}]]


Since you have the result of Map available as well, you can regroup them any way you want. You can, for example, Map a function {#, importOne@@#}&, rather than just using importOne@@@.... Then, you could use GatherBy or any other means to regroup and collect your images according to the parts of their filenames.


EDIT


Here is a self-contained example ( I use text files, but this doesn't matter):


ClearAll[fileNameParse, fileNameMake, importOne, $dir];
fileNameParse[fname_String, delim_String: "_"] :=
StringSplit[FileBaseName[fname], delim];

fileNameMake[pieces_List, delim_String: "_", ext_String: ".txt"] :=
StringJoin[Append[Riffle[pieces, "_"], ".txt"]];


importOne[set_, cat_, num_, dir_: $dir] :=
Import[FileNameJoin[{dir, fileNameMake[{set, cat, num}]}]];

We now create a temporary directory:


$dir = FileNameJoin[{$TemporaryDirectory, "ImportTest"}];
If[! FileExistsQ[$dir], CreateDirectory[$dir]];

Create sample files:


MapIndexed[

Export[#, "Test" <> ToString[#2], "Text"] &,
Flatten[
Outer[
FileNameJoin[{$dir, fileNameMake[{##}]}] &,
{"Electric"}, {"A", "B", "C"}, {"1", "2", "3"}
]]];

import them:


imported = Map[{#, importOne @@ #} &,  fileNameParse /@ FileNames["*.txt", {$dir}]]


(*
==>

{{{"Electric", "A", "1"}, "Test{1}"}, {{"Electric", "A", "2"}, "Test{2}"},
{{"Electric", "A", "3"}, "Test{3}"}, {{"Electric", "B", "1"}, "Test{4}"},
{{"Electric", "B", "2"}, "Test{5}"}, {{"Electric", "B", "3"}, "Test{6}"},
{{"Electric", "C", "1"}, "Test{7}"}, {{"Electric", "C", "2"}, "Test{8}"},
{{"Electric", "C", "3"}, "Test{9}"}
}
*)


You can now, for example, group them according to whatever parts of their file names you wish:


GatherBy[imported , #[[1, 2]] &][[1]]

(*
==>

{{{"Electric", "A", "1"}, "Test{1}"}, {{"Electric", "A", "2"}, "Test{2}"},
{{"Electric", "A", "3"}, "Test{3}"}}


*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...