Skip to main content

plotting - Animating a parametric plot


I am attempting to animate my parametric plot, but am having difficulties. I tried simply wrapping the plot code with an Animate[expression,{t,0,5}], but that hasn't worked, and I simply get a red animation screen. Any suggestions? Could someone tell me what is going wrong?



R= 2; l = 6; m = 9; g = -9.81; Subscript[t, 0] = 0; Subscript[t, f] = 1;

x[t_] = (l - R θ[t]) Cos[θ[t]] + R Sin[θ[t]];
y[t_] = R Cos[θ[t]] - (l - R θ[t]) Sin[θ[t]];

T = (1/2) m ((x'[t])^2 + (y'[t])^2);
U = m g (R Cos[θ[t]] - (l - R θ[t]) Sin[θ[t]]);
L = T - U;
EL[t_] = (D[L, θ[t]] - D[ D[L, θ'[t]], t]) // FullSimplify;


soln = NDSolve[{EL[t] == 0, θ[0] == 0, θ'[0] == 0}, θ, {t, Subscript[t, 0], Subscript[t, f]}];

ParametricPlot[ Evaluate[{(l - R θ[t]) Cos[θ[t]] + R Sin[θ[t]], R Cos[θ[t]] - (l - R θ[t]) Sin[θ[t]]} /. soln], {t, 0, 5}, AxesLabel -> y, PlotRange -> {10}]

Answer



First note that there are two errors in the ParametricPlot: (1) an error in the syntax of PlotRange, and (2) your time domain {t,0,5} goes outside the domain of the InterpolatingFunction. Be consistent with your choices of time domain by continuing to use $t_0$ and $t_f$, as shown below.


Second, as noted in the comments, avoid subscripts. I would use t0 in place of Subscript[t,0], although t[0] is another option.


Finally, note that because of the nature of the solution to the differential equation, $\theta(t)$ is oscillatory, and so the solution will trace out only a piece of the spiral you have plotted. I recommend plotting $\theta(t)$ directly to see this behavior.


Here is working code, with minimal changes that make it work, along with an animation where a point traces out the curve according to the solution of the differential equation.


r = 2; l = 6; m = 9; g = -9.81; t0 = 0; tf = 6.67;


x[t_] = (l - r θ[t]) Cos[θ[t]] + r Sin[θ[t]];
y[t_] = r Cos[θ[t]] - (l - r θ[t]) Sin[θ[t]];

kE = (1/2) m ((x'[t])^2 + (y'[t])^2);
pE = m g (r Cos[θ[t]] - (l - r θ[t]) Sin[θ[t]]);
lagrangian = kE - pE;
eL[t_] = (D[lagrangian, θ[t]] - D[D[lagrangian, θ'[t]], t]) //FullSimplify;

soln = NDSolve[{eL[t] == 0, θ[0] == 0, θ'[0] == 0}, θ, {t, t0, tf}];


Animate[ParametricPlot[{(l - r θ) Cos[θ] + r Sin[θ], r Cos[θ] - (l - r θ) Sin[θ]}, {θ, 0, -20}, Epilog -> {PointSize -> 0.015, Evaluate[Point[{(l - r θ[t]) Cos[θ[t]] + r Sin[θ[t]],r Cos[θ[t]] - (l - r θ[t]) Sin[θ[t]]}] /. soln[[1]]]}], {t, t0, tf}]

Here is the result of the animation:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...