Skip to main content

Formatting output of OpenAppend[] to match what Export[data,file,".csv"] would output?


I have a large data set that gets exported to a .csv file. Export[data,filename,"csv"] is extremely fast and formats the data in a nice JMP-friendly manner. However, now I want to append to that file. OpenAppend[filename] works, but I can't get the formatting to match what Export[data,filename,"csv"] would output.


Specifically, I'm looking for E-notation on items that require it, each line is a row in data, comma-delimited, and no quotations around strings.


Example of what I want, and what Export[] returns:


1207-6,120113AC-1,Hall,1,B=1.25,T=27.8C,1,4,369.3213,8.857323e12,1908.02,0.9990578214405423,0.9816049084772898

1207-6,120113AC-1,Hall,1,B=1.25,T=27.8C,1,5,363.3738,8.925324e12,1924.474,0.9983476963774321,0.9706588849929922
1207-6,120113AC-1,Hall,1,B=1.25,T=27.8C,1,6,363.2613,8.906686e12,1929.098,0.9991256922330654,0.986551586345846

So far, I've come relatively close with some very convoluted, annoying workaround:


StringTrim[ StringReplace[ StringTrim[ StringReplace[ ToString[ NumberForm[exportdata, NumberFormat -> (SequenceForm[#1, If[#3 == "", "", "e" <> #3]] &)]], ", " -> ","], ("{" | "}")], "},{" -> "\r"], ("{" | "}")]


This returns an output in Mathematica, that looks almost correct (missing some digits, but those aren't significant anyway):


1208-5,120113AC-3,Hall,1,B=1.25,T=28.2C,1,4,360.304,8.75973e12,1977.56,0.999515,0.993529
1208-5,120113AC-3,Hall,1,B=1.25,T=28.2C,1,5,360.74,8.72497e12,1983.04,0.997762,0.962358
1208-5,120113AC-3,Hall,1,B=1.25,T=28.2C,1,6,359.863,8.72829e12,1987.11,0.999306,0.989313


as the output, but OpenAppend[], Write[] still:



  1. doesn't add an EOL tag (LF or CR) after each row in data

  2. adds quotes around the entire line (I'm assuming because it's technically a string)


To fix #1, I've put the Write[] inside a Do[] loop. Now the only issue is the quotation marks. How can I get rid of these?


Here's the code:


str = OpenAppend["Z:\\temp.csv", PageWidth -> [Infinity], NumberMarks -> False]
Do[Write[str, StringTrim[ StringReplace[ ToString[ NumberForm[exportdata[[i]],NumberFormat -> (SequenceForm[#1, If[#3 == "", "", "e" <> #3]] &)]], ", " -> ","], ("{" | "}")]], {i, Length[exportdata]}];
Close[str]


Or, am I doing everything in a completely ass-backwards way, and there's a super simple, easy, pretty way to append to an exported .csv file and I just haven't been able to find the way with all my searching?



Answer



As @WReach has noted, Export will accept a stream as its first argument so


file = OpenAppend["out.txt"]

Export[file, data, "CSV"];
WriteString[file, "\n"];

Close[file]


Alternatively you could first use ExportString to write the data into a string in the desired format, then send the string to the file to be appended to using WriteString.


Example:


data = RandomInteger[100, {100, 3}]

file = OpenAppend["out.txt"]

string = ExportString[data, "CSV"];

WriteString[file, string]

WriteString[file, "\n"];

Close[file]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...