Skip to main content

mathematical optimization - Using compiled function inside NMinimize



Consider this code:


variable = Sin[x];
fun = Compile[{{x, _Real}}, variable, CompilationOptions -> {"InlineExternalDefinitions" -> True}];
NMinimize[fun[x], {x}]

This code returns:


 CompiledFunction::cfsa: Argument x at position 1 should be a machine-size real number. >>
{-1., {x -> -1.5707963267948966}}

Why do I get the error? How can I resolve this issue?



Edit


What if we use instead of Sin an expression like a+b? Because in reality I have an expression with 63 variable which must be find by NMinimize I cannot define a function of that expression and use it instead of Sin



Answer



Update



What if we use instead of Sin an expression like a+b?



I'll try a simple example, namely minimizing $(a + 3)^2 + (b - 3)^2$. Making use of CompilationOptions, I'll define a function with two variables, then nest that inside another compiled function prior to minimization.


Needs["CompiledFunctionTools`"]


myfunction = Compile[{{a}, {b}}, (a + 3)^2 + (b - 3)^2]

With[{variable = myfunction},
fun = Compile[{{a, _Real}, {b, _Real}},
variable[a, b],
"RuntimeOptions" -> {"EvaluateSymbolically" -> False},
CompilationOptions -> {"InlineCompiledFunctions" -> True},
CompilationTarget -> "C"]
];


NMinimize[fun[x, y], {x, y}]

(* {1.97215*10^-30, {x -> -3., y -> 3.}} *)

You can add // Trace to the NMinimize to check for errors. For example, if you remove the line "RuntimeOptions" -> {"EvaluateSymbolically" -> False}, adding // Trace throws up the cfsa error from before.


And again, let's check all is well with the compilation.


CompilePrint[fun]

(*
2 arguments

5 Real registers
Underflow checking off
Overflow checking off
Integer overflow checking on
RuntimeAttributes -> {}

R0 = A1
R1 = A2
Result = R4


1 R2 = R0
2 R3 = R1
3 R4 = R2 + R3
4 Return
*)

No calls to MainEvaluate.


Original answer


This works for me.


With[{variable = Sin}, 

fun = Compile[{{a, _Real}}, variable[a],
"RuntimeOptions" -> {"EvaluateSymbolically" -> False}]
];
NMinimize[fun[x], x]

And let's check all is well:


Needs["CompiledFunctionTools`"]
With[{variable = Sin},
fun = Compile[{{a, _Real}}, variable[a],
"RuntimeOptions" -> {"EvaluateSymbolically" -> False},

CompilationTarget -> "C"]
];
CompilePrint[fun]

(*
1 argument
2 Real registers
Underflow checking off
Overflow checking off
Integer overflow checking on

RuntimeAttributes -> {}

R0 = A1
Result = R1

1 R1 = Sin[ R0]
2 Return
*)

As to why you get this problem, this question should answer it for you: Using a compiled function inside NIntegrate gives "CompiledFunction::cfsa" message



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...