Skip to main content

Calling Correct Function for Plotting DiracDelta


I am wondering what is the correct function in Mathematica to plot the true impulse function, better known as the DiracDelta[] function. When using this inside of a function or just the function itself when plotting, it renders output = zero. Quick example:


Plot[DiracDelta[x], {x,-1,1}]

I am wondering, is this the correct delta function which is infinite in height at zero and zero everywhere else. I have seen other functions such as KroneckerDelta[], but this seems to do the same exact thing. The code is below:


eqn1wb := (2 ((I Pi f) Exp[(-I) 2 Pi f]) ((1/2) DiracDelta[f-2] + 
DiracDelta[f+2]))/(1 + I 2 Pi f);
wb1 = Plot[Re[eqn1wb], {f, -5, 5},

PlotRange :> All, PlotStyle :> {Thick, Red},
AspectRatio :> 1,
GridLines :> {{-4, -2, 2, 4}, {1.0, 0.5, -0.5, -1.0}},
PlotLabel :> "Re(w) - Frequency Response",
AxesLabel :> {"f", "W(f)"}
]

Answer



To create the plot you could replace any occurrence of DiracDelta[a] with something like 10000 UnitStep[1/10000 - a^2]], so for example to plot


f[x_] := DiracDelta[x - 2] + DiracDelta[x + 2]


you could do something like


Plot[Evaluate[f[x] /. DiracDelta[a_] :> 10000 UnitStep[1/10000 - a^2]], 
{x, -4, 4}, Exclusions -> None, PlotPoints -> 800]

Mathematica graphics


Note that for Mathematica to see the discontinuities you need to increase the number of plot points. The number of points needed will depend on the plot range, so you might have to tweak that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...