Skip to main content

differential equations - Stopping NDSolver at time of error


I am using NDSolver and WhenEvent to solve a system of differential equations. I get this message:


NDSolve::ndsz: At t == 49169.954923435114`, step size is effectively zero; singularity or stiff system suspected. 

The solution I get is pretty stable until that time, then blows off completely. At each evaluation I get the same behaviour at different times.



I understand that the problem might lie with the fact that I am solving for very long times, and eventually the algorithm just starts having problems handling all the data.


Is there a way to stop the solver as soon as the error comes up?



Answer



First, a test case:


sol = NDSolve[{x'[t] == -1/x[t], x[0] == -1}, x, {t, 0, 2}]


NDSolve::ndsz: At t == 0.499999735845871`, step size is effectively zero; singularity or stiff system suspected. >>



Mathematica graphics



Consult What's inside InterpolatingFunction[{{1., 4.}}, <>]? or InterpolatingFunctionAnatomy and you will discover that InterpolatingFunction comes with lots of utilities and methods that give access to a wealth of information. In particular, the method "Domain" will yield the domain of the InterpolatingFunction, which in this case will be the interval over which NDSolve successfully integrated the ODE (up to the point where stiffness stopped it).


{tstart, tstop} = Flatten[x["Domain"] /. sol]
(* {0.`, 0.499999735845871`} *)

A couple of ways to plot. Note for ListLinePlot, you don't need to know the domain; it and ListPlot handle InterpolatingFunction as a special case.


ListLinePlot[x /. sol]
Plot @@ {{x[t], x'[t]} /. First[sol], Flatten@{t, x["Domain"] /. sol}}

Mathematica graphics


By default, going past the ends of the domain results in extrapolation.



Plot[x[t] /. First[sol], {t, 0, 2}]

Mathematica graphics


One can use the option, mentioned in a comment in the linked question, "ExtrapolationHandler" to override the default extrapolation.


sol2 = NDSolve[{x'[t] == -1/x[t], x[0] == -1}, x, {t, 0, 10}, 
"ExtrapolationHandler" -> {Indeterminate &}];

Plot[x[t] /. First[sol2], {t, 0, 2}]



NDSolve::ndsz: At t == 0.4999997164125506`....



Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?