Skip to main content

pattern matching - Can I get Mathematica to recognize common series expansions of trigonometric functions?


I have some complicated functions from numerical procedures that go to simple trig functions in the limit of small time-steps. For example, I can calculate that one of these functions goes to:


x - 2x^3 / 3 + 2x^5 / 15

This is $\sin{x} \cos{x}$ minus terms of $O(x^7)$ and higher. Is there any way for Mathematica to recognize such a pattern automatically? I have other similar series expansions and I don't want to have to find all of them manually.


---Edit---


Thank you Szabolcs and corey979! You asked for more examples/background so here it is. I wanted to convert a 2x2 matrix of polynomials to trigonomic functions. I can obtain this matrix to arbitrary order in some small parameter h. To first order that looks like:



{{1 + h (t - (2 t^3)/3 + (2 t^5)/15), h (t^2 - t^4/3 + (2 t^6)/45)}, {h (t^2 - t^4/3 + (2 t^6)/45), 1 + h (-t + (2 t^3)/3 - (2 t^5)/15)}}




To second order that looks like:



{{1 + h^2 (t^2/2 - t^4/6) + h (t - (2 t^3)/3 + (2 t^5)/15), h (t^2 - t^4/3 + (2 t^6)/45)}, {h (t^2 - t^4/3 + (2 t^6)/45), 1 + h^2 (t^2/2 - t^4/6) + h (-t + (2 t^3)/3 - (2 t^5)/15)}}



etc


For a single matrix element, I was able to collect the coefficients of various orders of h and use With the data and FindFunction approach to turn those coefficents into trigonomic functions. It seems to work okay if I have the coefficients have enough terms, but I can get pretty wacky numbers if it doesn't have enough terms. I use this code:


findtrigfunc[inseries_] :=  Module[{outseries=inseries},
outseries = outseries //CoefficientList[#,h]&;
For[i=1, i <= Length[outseries],i++,
{data = Table[Evaluate@{x, outseries[[i]] //. t->x}, {x, 0, 1, 0.01}];

outseries[[i]] = FindFormula[data, x, TargetFunctions -> {Times,Sin, Cos}]}];
Sum[outseries[[i]]*h^(i- 1) , {i,1,Length[outseries]}]//.x->t]

Here's what that produces for the first matrix element up to second order in h and order 7 in t:



1. + 1.0043 h Cos[t] Sin[t] + h^2 (-0.00618535 + 0.596221 Sin[Sin[t]]^2)



When I increase the order in t from 7 to 11, I get extra terms that get me a more reasonable answer:



1. + h^2 (0.49996 - 0.499954 Cos[t]^2) + 1.00001 h Cos[t] Sin[t]






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?