Skip to main content

numerical integration - Calculate mean normed distance and normed variance of cone-shaped distribution in N-dimensions


I would like to calculate the mean and variance of the normed distance of a cone-shaped distribution,


$f(x) \propto \exp(-|x|)$,



where $x\in\mathbb{R}^d$, where $d$ can be any positive integer.


In two-dimensions, this distribution looks like


plot


a cone! I can calculate the normalising constant for this distribution using,


Integrate[Exp[-Norm[{x,y}]], {x, -Infinity, Infinity}, {y, -Infinity, Infinity}]

which is $2\pi$. I can then calculate the mean normed distance using,


Integrate[Norm[{x,y}]Exp[-Norm[{x,y}]], {x, -Infinity, Infinity},
{y, -Infinity, Infinity}]


which is 2. Its second moment,


Integrate[Norm[{x,y}]^2Exp[-Norm[{x,y}]], {x, -Infinity, Infinity},
{y, -Infinity, Infinity}]

then allows me to calculate the variance $\mathrm{Var}(|x|) = \mathrm{E}(|x|^2) -\mathrm{E}(|x|)^2 = 2$.


Calculating the normalising constants is easy enough in higher dimensions, but I run into trouble with finding the mean and variance.


Any ideas?


I'm guessing that something can maybe be done using polar coordinates in higher dimensions but this isn't something I know much about!



Answer



For the normalization, we need to determine $\omega$ such that



$$\omega \, \int_{\mathbb{R}^{n}} \mathrm{e}^{-|x|} \, \mathrm{d}x = 1.$$


The first moment is given by


$$\omega \, \int_{\mathbb{R}^{n}} |x|^1 \, \mathrm{e}^{-|x|} \, \mathrm{d}x.$$


For the second, we have to compute


$$\omega \, \int_{\mathbb{R}^{n}} |x|^2 \, \mathrm{e}^{-|x|} \, \mathrm{d}x.$$


All these integrals are radially symmetric.


By introducing polar coordinates, we obtain $$\int_{\mathbb{R}^{n}} |x|^\alpha \, \mathrm{e}^{-|x|} \, \mathrm{d}x =\int_{S^{n-1}}\int_0^\infty \mathrm{e}^{-r} \, r^{\alpha+n-1} \, \mathrm{d} r \, \mathrm{d}S = \omega_n \int_0^\infty \mathrm{e}^{-r} \, r^{\alpha+n-1} \, \mathrm{d} r,$$


where $\omega_n = \frac{2 \pi^{n/2}}{\Gamma \left(\frac{n}{2}\right)}$ is the surface area of the unit sphere in $\mathbb{R}^n$.


Such integrals can be computed symbolically by Mathematica:


v[n_, α_] = 2 Ï€^(n/2)/Gamma[n/2] Integrate[r^α Exp[-r] r^(n - 1), {r, 0, ∞}, 

Assumptions -> α + n > 0]


$$\frac{2 \pi ^{n/2} \Gamma (n+\alpha )}{\Gamma \left(\frac{n}{2}\right)}$$



So, the $k$-th moment should equal


moment[n_, k_] = FullSimplify[ v[n, k]/v[n, 0], n ∈ Integers && n > 0]


$$\frac{\Gamma (k+n)}{\Gamma (n)}$$




which, for simplicity, equals


moment[n_, k_] = (n + k - 1)!/(n - 1)!


$$\frac{(n+k-1)!}{(n-1)!} $$



So the variance of the distance is given by


var[n_] = FullSimplify[moment[n, 2] - moment[n, 1]^2]



$$n$$



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...