Skip to main content

graphics3d - Is there a way to increase the smoothness of a cylinder?


I am using Cylinder to produce wide flat disks (in Mathematica 8). This works just fine except that the circular base of such a cylinder turns out to be really just a 40-gon which is simply too coarse an approximation to a circle for what I have in mind. Is there a way to convince Mathematica to use say a 200-gon as a circular base for a cylinder?


Here is an example of the kind of picture that I am trying to create. Zoom in to see how coarse the cylinders' curved surfaces pan out.


Graphics3D[{Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, 0.`, -0.9510565162951536`}}, .1], 
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, 0.`, 0.9510565162951536`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.85065080835204`, 0.`, -0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},

0.0011 {0.85065080835204`, 0.`, 0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.6881909602355868`, -0.5`, -0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.6881909602355868`, 0.5`, -0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.6881909602355868`, -0.5`, 0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.6881909602355868`, 0.5`, 0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},

0.0011 {-0.2628655560595668`, -0.8090169943749475`, \
-0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.2628655560595668`,
0.8090169943749475`, -0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.2628655560595668`, -0.8090169943749475`,
0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.2628655560595668`, 0.8090169943749475`,

0.42532540417601994`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, 0.`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, 0.`, 1.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.42532540417602`, 0.3090169943749474`,
0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.7236067977499789`, 0.5257311121191336`,
0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},

0.0011 {0.16245984811645317`, 0.5`, 0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.2628655560595668`, 0.8090169943749473`,
0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.27639320225002106`, 0.8506508083520399`,
0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.42532540417602`, -0.3090169943749474`,
0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],

Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.7236067977499789`, -0.5257311121191336`,
0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.85065080835204`, 0.`, 0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.16245984811645317`, -0.5`, 0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.27639320225002106`, -0.8506508083520399`,
0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],

Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.2628655560595668`, -0.8090169943749473`,
0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.5257311121191336`, 0.`, 0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.8944271909999159`, 0.`, 0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.6881909602355868`, -0.5`, 0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},

0.0011 {0.6881909602355868`, 0.5`, 0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.7236067977499789`, -0.5257311121191336`, \
-0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.42532540417602`, -0.3090169943749474`, \
-0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, 0.`, -1.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.2628655560595668`, -0.8090169943749473`, \

-0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.16245984811645317`, -0.5`, -0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.27639320225002106`, -0.8506508083520399`, \
-0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.7236067977499789`,
0.5257311121191336`, -0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},

0.0011 {0.42532540417602`,
0.3090169943749474`, -0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.85065080835204`, 0.`, -0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.27639320225002106`,
0.8506508083520399`, -0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.16245984811645317`, 0.5`, -0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},

0.0011 {0.2628655560595668`,
0.8090169943749473`, -0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.8944271909999159`, 0.`, -0.4472135954999579`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.5257311121191336`, 0.`, -0.8506508083520399`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.6881909602355868`, 0.5`, -0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.6881909602355868`, -0.5`, -0.5257311121191336`}}, .1],

Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, 1.`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.5877852522924731`, 0.8090169943749473`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.9510565162951535`, 0.3090169943749474`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.9510565162951535`, -0.3090169943749474`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {-0.5877852522924731`, -0.8090169943749473`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, 0.0011 {0.`, -1.`, 0.`}}, .1],

Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.5877852522924731`, -0.8090169943749473`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.9510565162951535`, -0.3090169943749474`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.9510565162951535`, 0.3090169943749474`, 0.`}}, .1],
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0},
0.0011 {0.5877852522924731`, 0.8090169943749473`, 0.`}}, .1]}]

Answer



You can fix this problem by using the following Option in Graphics3D:



Method -> {"CylinderPoints" -> {200, 1}}

Adjust 200 to match your requirements. (Indeed the default is 40.)


Edit: I don't know exactly what the second parameter does, but using the single parameter form shown in the documentation linked below results in a big slow-down. I could guess that it is points in the other direction but that doesn't seem to make sense. Anyway I can't tell the visual difference between {200, 1} and {200, 200} but the former is much faster than the latter. ("CylinderPoints" -> 200 is apparently equivalent to "CylinderPoints" -> {200, 200}.)


You can make the change permanent with the Option Inspector by changing this value in the Graphics3DBoxOptions:


enter image description here


From Three-Dimensional Graphics Primitives:



Even though Cone, Cylinder, Sphere, and Tube produce high-quality renderings, their usage is scalable. A single image can contain thousands of these primitives. When rendering so many primitives, you can increase the efficiency of rendering by using special options to change the number of points used by default to render Cone, Cylinder, Sphere, and Tube. The "ConePoints" Method option to Graphics3D is used to reduce the rendering quality of each individual cone. Cylinder, sphere, and tube quality can be similarly adjusted using "CylinderPoints", "SpherePoints", and "TubePoints", respectively.




40 points:


enter image description here


200 points:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...