Skip to main content

Intersection for lists of numeric data


I know that Intersection is a pattern matching function and will not evaluate list elements to determine if two or more list have equal elements. So my question is, what can be done to do this? Say, determine if two lists have numerically equal elements within some tolerance dx?



Answer



Closely related questions:





The most direct method is to make use of the SameTest option:


a = {1, 2.2, 3.14159};
b = {11/5, Pi, 1/2, 1/4};


Intersection[a, b, SameTest -> (Abs[# - #2] < 0.0001 &)]


{2.2, 3.14159}

This however requires a pairwise comparison that has a much higher computational complexity than the default method. A different method that does not require a pairwise compare will be much faster on long lists. Iff each list is internally free of duplicates and your tolerance requirement can be relaxed to rounding you could use this:


Cases[GatherBy[Join[b, a], Round[#, 0.0001] &], {x_, _} :> x]


{11/5, π}


Note here that the exact values are returned despite the use of Round, because list b is given first in Join.


The speed advantage can be great:


a = RandomReal[99, 1000];
b = RandomReal[99, 1000];

Intersection[a, b, SameTest -> (Abs[# - #2] < 0.0001 &)] // Timing // First
Cases[GatherBy[Join[b, a], Round[#, 0.0001] &], {x_, __} :> x] // Timing // First



1.638


0.0011728



If a list is not internally free of duplicates any of those values will be returned as well:


a = {1, 2.2, 3.14159};
b = {11/5, Pi, 1/2, 0.5}; (* note 1/2 and 0.5 *)

Cases[GatherBy[Join[b, a], Round[#, 0.0001] &], {x_, __} :> x]



{11/5, π, 1/2}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...