Skip to main content

programming - How can I wrap a C++ object in WSTP?


I am trying to wrap a sophisticated C/C++ API in Mathematica using WSTP, but can't work out how to return a pointer to a C/C++ data structure. This object was created on the C/C++ side of the wrapper, and I want to be able to pass it back to the API as a parameter later on.


I know how to wrap basic functions that return simple Mathematica objects like numbers and strings. In a perfect world, I would simply convert C++ objects into Mathematica expressions in my wrapper code. But this API's state cannot be represented as Mathematica expressions, so the objects need to remain on the C/C++ side. I need some way to wrap this state in a Mathematica expression. In other words, I would like to treat these structures as Abstract Data Types.


To make my question concrete, consider a silly example. Suppose I have an API written in C for controlling battle robots, and that I want to use Mathematica to guide a robot army to victory over the bad guys. Let's also assume that the RobotLink structures are complicated and must remain in memory on the C side, and that there are multiple robots, so a singleton object won't do.


typedef struct { ... } RobotLink;
RobotLink *CreateRobotLink(int robotId);
void MarchTo(RobotLink *robot, char **targetLocation);

void ShootAt(RobotLink *robot, char **target);
void FreeRobotLink(RobotLink *robot);

How can I wrap this API to appear to Mathematica users as follows?


Needs["RobotCommsAPI`"]
robotLinks = createRobotLink /@ {1,2,3};
marchTo(#, "battle ground") & /@ robotLinks;
shootAt(#, "bad guys") & /@ robotLinks;
freeRobotLink /@ robotLinks;


Also, is there a way to have Mathematica call freeRobotLink automatically, when the object is no longer needed?


Thanks very much in advance.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Mathematica: 3D plot based on combined 2D graphs

I have several sigmoidal fits to 3 different datasets, with mean fit predictions plus the 95% confidence limits (not symmetrical around the mean) and the actual data. I would now like to show these different 2D plots projected in 3D as in but then using proper perspective. In the link here they give some solutions to combine the plots using isometric perspective, but I would like to use proper 3 point perspective. Any thoughts? Also any way to show the mean points per time point for each series plus or minus the standard error on the mean would be cool too, either using points+vertical bars, or using spheres plus tubes. Below are some test data and the fit function I am using. Note that I am working on a logit(proportion) scale and that the final vertical scale is Log10(percentage). (* some test data *) data = Table[Null, {i, 4}]; data[[1]] = {{1, -5.8}, {2, -5.4}, {3, -0.8}, {4, -0.2}, {5, 4.6}, {1, -6.4}, {2, -5.6}, {3, -0.7}, {4, 0.04}, {5, 1.0}, {1, -6.8}, {2, -4.7}, {3, -1.