Skip to main content

programming - How can I wrap a C++ object in WSTP?


I am trying to wrap a sophisticated C/C++ API in Mathematica using WSTP, but can't work out how to return a pointer to a C/C++ data structure. This object was created on the C/C++ side of the wrapper, and I want to be able to pass it back to the API as a parameter later on.


I know how to wrap basic functions that return simple Mathematica objects like numbers and strings. In a perfect world, I would simply convert C++ objects into Mathematica expressions in my wrapper code. But this API's state cannot be represented as Mathematica expressions, so the objects need to remain on the C/C++ side. I need some way to wrap this state in a Mathematica expression. In other words, I would like to treat these structures as Abstract Data Types.


To make my question concrete, consider a silly example. Suppose I have an API written in C for controlling battle robots, and that I want to use Mathematica to guide a robot army to victory over the bad guys. Let's also assume that the RobotLink structures are complicated and must remain in memory on the C side, and that there are multiple robots, so a singleton object won't do.


typedef struct { ... } RobotLink;
RobotLink *CreateRobotLink(int robotId);
void MarchTo(RobotLink *robot, char **targetLocation);

void ShootAt(RobotLink *robot, char **target);
void FreeRobotLink(RobotLink *robot);

How can I wrap this API to appear to Mathematica users as follows?


Needs["RobotCommsAPI`"]
robotLinks = createRobotLink /@ {1,2,3};
marchTo(#, "battle ground") & /@ robotLinks;
shootAt(#, "bad guys") & /@ robotLinks;
freeRobotLink /@ robotLinks;


Also, is there a way to have Mathematica call freeRobotLink automatically, when the object is no longer needed?


Thanks very much in advance.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...