Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Working with a system of differential equations that cannot be solved explicitly


I have to work a lot with three functions $\;o_1(t), o_2(t), o_3(t)\;$ that are solutions to a certain system of differential equations:


Halp = {
D[o1[t], t] == o1[t]*o2[t] + o1[t]*o3[t] - o2[t]*o3[t],
D[o2[t], t] == o1[t]*o2[t] + o2[t]*o3[t] - o1[t]*o3[t],
D[o3[t], t] == o1[t]*o3[t] + o2[t]*o3[t] - o1[t]*o2[t]}
sol = DSolve[Halp, {o1[t], o2[t], o3[t]}, {t}]


The system cannot be solved explicitly with Mathematica, but I do not need the solution. What I would like to do is to compute higher order derivatives assuming that $o_1(t)$, $o_2(t)$, and $o_3(t)$ are solutions to the above system.


How could I tell Mathematica to do this?



Answer



There are many ways which one could exploit. For example let's use calculate o1''[t] eliminating o1'[t], o2'[t], o3'[t]. We can use Eliminate:


#1/.( Eliminate[ Join[ D[Halp, t], Halp], {#2, #3}] //ToRules)&[o1''[t], o2''[t], o3''[t]]


2 o1[t] o2[t]^2 + 2 o1[t] o2[t] o3[t] - 2 o2[t]^2 o3[t] + 2 o1[t] o3[t]^2 - 2 o2[t] o3[t]^2 


Changing the order in the square bracket we can calculate o2''[t] and o3''[t].


For the third order derivative of e.g. o1[t] we can eliminate other dependent variables in many different ways, let's point out one of them:


#1 /.( 
Eliminate[ Join[ D[Halp, {t, 2}], D[Halp, t], Halp], {##2}]
//ToRules) &[o1'''[t], o2'''[t], o3'''[t], o2''[t], o3''[t], o1''[t]]


  2 o1[t]^2 o2[t]^2 + 4 o1[t] o2[t]^3 - 4 o1[t]^2 o2[t] o3[t] + 8 o1[t] o2[t]^2 o3[t]
- 4 o2[t]^3 o3[t] + 2 o1[t]^2 o3[t]^2 + 8 o1[t] o2[t] o3[t]^2 - 10 o2[t]^2 o3[t]^2
+ 4 o1[t] o3[t]^3 - 4 o2[t] o3[t]^3


In the above we eliminated all dependent variables starting from the second position in the square bracket (note very useful sign ##n i.e. SlotSequence ) and calculated o1'''[t]. Of course you can try to get rid of different dependent variables. In general this is a difficult issue to decide which dependent variables could be eliminated and how they could be represented by another variables. I suggest to take a closer look at GroebnerBasis with the MonomialOrder -> EliminationOrder option.


GroebnerBasis[ polys, vars, elims, MonomialOrder -> EliminationOrder]

If given equations are relatively simple you can't observe a common problem in differential elimination - so called intermediate expresssion swell. For interesting mathematical issues related to the problem I'd suggest to study e.g. a recent monograph Involution by Werner Seiler (Springer 2009). However I couldn't mention interesting packages in Mathematica related to differential elimination (there are such packages e.g. in Maple).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...