Skip to main content

list manipulation - Approximating the density of $Scap[a,b]$ using a Folner Sequence of $A$, where $S subseteq A$?


Edit: I redid my code but it's still not working.


How do we use Mathematica to approximate


$$D(S\cap[a,b])=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\left|S\cap{F_n\cap[a,b]}\right|}{\left|F_n\cap[a,b]\right|}$$


where $D$ is the density of $S\cap[a,b]$ (in $A\cap[a,b]$), $[a,b]$ is an interval for $a,b\in\mathbb{R}$, $F_n$ is the Folner Sequence of $A$, and $S\subseteq A$. For more information, click here (replace $G,X,i,g$ with $A,S,n,a$) and here.


$A$ is countable and dense in $\mathbb{R}$ and can be written as the operations of finite or infinite one-variable functions that, when defined on countable domains dense in $\mathbb{R}$, intersect with the integers.


Example:


$$A=\left\{\frac{m+\ln(w)}{2^{(p/q)}+\sqrt{z}}:m,p,q,z,w\in\mathbb{Z},2^{p/q}+\sqrt{z}\neq0,q\neq0,z>0,w>0\right\}$$



There are many Folner Sequence of $A$. In general, the most natural, "intuitive" sequence is calculated by restricting the whole set, and the variables of each function in the set, by $n$.


$$F_n=\left\{\frac{m+\ln(w)}{2^{(p/q)}+\sqrt{z}}:m,p,q,z\in\mathbb{Z},2^{p/q}+\sqrt{z}\neq0,q\neq0,z>0, w>0,\left|\frac{m+\ln(w)}{2^{(p/q)}+\sqrt{z}}\right|\le n,|m|\le n,|p|\le n,|q|\le n, |z| \le n, |w| \le n\right\}$$


$S$ can be written similarly to $A$ except it must be a subset.


Example:


$$S=\left\{\frac{m_1}{2^{(p_1/q_1)}+\sqrt{z_1}}:m_1,q_1,z_1\in\mathbb{Z},2^{(p_1/q_1)}+\sqrt{z_1}\neq0,q_1\neq0,z_1>0\right\}$$


I attempted to approximate $D(S\cap[0,1])$ when $S=\left\{\frac{m^2}{n^2}:m,n\in\mathbb{Z},n\neq 0\right\}$, $A=\mathbb{Q}$, $F_n=\left\{\frac{p}{2^k(2q+1)}:p,k,q\in\mathbb{Z},2^k \le n, |2q+1|\le n, \left|\frac{p}{2^k(2q+1)}\right|\le n\right\}$.


(In my code I replaced $A$ with A[x_,y_,z_,...] and $F_n$ with F[x_,y_,z_,...], $S$ with S[x_,y_,z_,...], and $D$ with d. I also set $a=0$ and $b=1$.)


I tried to list all elements of $F_n\cap[0,1]$ depending on $n$ and determine which elements in $S\cap[0,1]$ exist in $F_n\cap[0,1]$. Then I counted all elements where this holds and divided it by the total elements in $F_n\cap[0,1]$.


Unprotect[d]
Remove[d]

A[p_, k_, q_] := p/((2^k)*(2*q + 1))
F[p_, n_] :=
Table[A[p, k, q], {k, 0, Floor[Log[2, n]]}, {q, 0, Floor[(n - 1)/2]}]
f[n_, a_, b_] :=
p /. Table[
Solve[a <= A[p, k, q] <= b, p, Integers], {k, 0,
Floor[Log[2, n]]}, {q, 0, Floor[(n - 1)/2]}]
Ff[n_, a_, b_] :=
DeleteDuplicates[
Flatten[Table[

F[f[n, a, b][[v]][[u]], n][[v]][[u]], {v, 1,
Floor[Log[2, n]] + 1}, {u, 1, Floor[(n - 1)/2] + 1}]]]
S[j_, k_] := j^2/k^2
X[a_, b_, n_] :=
Count[Boole[Resolve[Exists[{j, k}, S[j, k] == Ff[n, a, b]]]], 1]
Y[a_, b_, n_] := Count[Ff[n, a, b]]
d[n_, a_, b_] := N[(Y[a, b, S] - X[a, b, S])/Y[a, b, S]]
Ff[4, 1, 2]
X[1, 2, 4]
Y[1, 2, 4]

d[1, 2, 4]

Instead, I get


 During evaluation of In[629]:= Table::iterb: Iterator {v,1,1+Floor[Log[S]/Log[2]]} does not have appropriate bounds.

During evaluation of In[629]:= Table::iterb: Iterator {v,1,1+Floor[Log[S]/Log[2]]} does not have appropriate bounds.

During evaluation of In[629]:= Table::iterb: Iterator {v,1,1+Floor[Log[S]/Log[2]]} does not have appropriate bounds.

During evaluation of In[629]:= General::stop: Further output of Table::iterb will be suppressed during this calculation.


During evaluation of In[629]:= Exists::msgs: Evaluation of S[j,k]==Ff[S,2,4] generated message(s) {General::stop,Table::iterb}.

During evaluation of In[629]:= Exists::msgs: Evaluation of j^2/k^2==Table[F[f[<<3>>][[v]][[u]],S][[v]][[u]],{v,1,1+Floor[Log[S]/Log[<<1>>]]},{u,1,Floor[(S-1)/2]+1}] generated message(s) {Table::iterb}.

During evaluation of In[629]:= Exists::msgs: Evaluation of j^2/k^2==Table[F[f[<<3>>][[v]][[u]],S][[v]][[u]],{v,1,1+Floor[Log[S]/Log[<<1>>]]},{u,1,Floor[(S-1)/2]+1}] generated message(s) {Table::iterb}.

During evaluation of In[629]:= General::stop: Further output of Exists::msgs will be suppressed during this calculation.

Out[642]= 1.


Is there a better and faster method to solving my example? How do we generalize this for any $S\cap[a,b]$ and $A\cap[a,b]$?



Answer



This works and provides expected resulst as far as I'm aware:


Clear[A, F, f, p, Ff, S, X, Y, d, j, k];
A[p_, k_, q_] := p/((2^k)*(2*q + 1));
F[p_, n_] :=
Table[A[p, k, q], {k, 0, Floor[Log[2, n]]}, {q, 0,
Floor[(n - 1)/2]}];
f[n_, a_, b_] :=

p /. Table[
Solve[a <= A[p, k, q] <= b, p, Integers], {k, 0,
Floor[Log[2, n]]}, {q, 0, Floor[(n - 1)/2]}];
Ff[n_, a_, b_] := DeleteDuplicates@Flatten@Table[
F[f[n, a, b][[v]][[u]], n][[v]][[u]]
, {v, 1, Floor[Log[2, n]] + 1}
, {u, 1, Floor[(n - 1)/2] + 1}
];
S[j_, k_] := j^2/k^2;
X[n_, a_, b_] :=

Count[Resolve[
Exists[{j, k}, S[j, k] == # && {j, k} ∈ Integers]] & /@
Ff[n, a, b], True];
Y[n_, a_, b_] := Length[Ff[n, a, b]];
d[n_, a_, b_] := N[(Y[n, a, b] - X[n, a, b])/Y[n, a, b]];
Ff[4, 1, 2]
X[4, 1, 2]
Y[4, 1, 2]
d[4, 1, 2]



{1,2,4/3,5/3,3/2,7/6,11/6,5/4,7/4,13/12,17/12,19/12,23/12}
1
13
0.923077



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...