Skip to main content

dimension reduction - Linear map of unit cube



Let c be a vector of n constants and X = Table[Symbol["x" <> ToString[i]], {i, n}] be a vector of n variables.


Assuming that 0 <= X <= 1, I would like to compute the linear map c.X. This can be expressed with Reduce:


formula = Exists[Evaluate[X], y == c.X && Fold[#1 && 0 <= #2 <= 1 &, True, X]];
Reduce[formula, {y}, Reals]

With increasing n, the performance of this solution drops rapidly. Is there a better way to compute the solution y?



Answer



This is a typical linear programming problem. For a given vector c you can quickly find the minimum and maximum values of y that allow a solution X.


Example for n=10:


n = 10;

c = RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], n] (* random, to have an example *)
(* {0.105518, -0.439788, -0.33041, -1.93738, -0.810956, 1.43839, -0.529671, 0.668688, 0.879621, 0.458327} *)
X = Array[x, n]
(* {x[1], x[2], x[3], x[4], x[5], x[6], x[7], x[8], x[9], x[10]} *)
Minimize[{c.X, And @@ Thread[0 <= X <= 1]}, X]
(* {-4.0482, {x[1] -> 0., x[2] -> 1., x[3] -> 1., x[4] -> 1., x[5] -> 1.,
x[6] -> 0., x[7] -> 1., x[8] -> 0., x[9] -> 0., x[10] -> 0.}} *)
Maximize[{c.X, And @@ Thread[0 <= X <= 1]}, X]
(* {3.55054, {x[1] -> 1., x[2] -> 0., x[3] -> 0., x[4] -> 0., x[5] -> 0.,
x[6] -> 1., x[7] -> 0., x[8] -> 1., x[9] -> 1., x[10] -> 1.}} *)


So for this particular choice of the vector c there exists solutions X if $-4.0482 \le y \le 3.55054$. The convexity of the problem assures that all values of $y$ in this range give rise to solutions X.


The above code is fast and executes in about one second for $n=10^4$. For ultimate speed, call the LinearProgramming function directly: you get the same results, but much faster:


X1 = LinearProgramming[c,
-IdentityMatrix[n, SparseArray],
ConstantArray[-1, n]];
X1.c
(* -4.0482 *)
X2 = LinearProgramming[-c,
-IdentityMatrix[n, SparseArray],

ConstantArray[-1, n]];
X2.c
(* 3.55054 *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...