Skip to main content

performance tuning - Compiling Map over expression that yields a ragged array


I'm trying to speed up a function that looks in the neighborhood of each 3D point in a large dataset and finds all the points within 1 unit in each direction, x, y, z.


I've started by using Select to find the points around a specified point and then Map this function over the dataset.



First, lets make up some "data" and then define the findpoints function.


data = RandomReal[10, {10^4, 3}];

findpoints[data_, pt_]:= Block[{x = pt[[1]], y = pt[[2]], z = pt[[3]]},
Select[data,
x - 1 <= #[[1]] <= x + 1 && y - 1 <= #[[2]] <= y + 1 &&
z - 1 <= #[[3]] <= z + 1 &]
]

Now lets map it over the random data.



Map[findpoints[data, #] &, data]; // AbsoluteTiming

This is quite slow, I gave up waiting, so I started by compiling the findpoint function.


findpointsC = 
Compile[{{data, _Real, 2}, {pt, _Real, 1}},
Block[{x = pt[[1]], y = pt[[2]], z = pt[[3]]},
Select[data,
x - 1 <= #[[1]] <= x + 1 && y - 1 <= #[[2]] <= y + 1 &&
z - 1 <= #[[3]] <= z + 1 &]
], CompilationTarget -> "C", RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable},

Parallelization -> True, RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"];

output= Map[findpointsC[data, #] &, data]; // AbsoluteTiming

(*{3.7542147, Null}*)

Much faster, great.


Now I figured since compiling was so beneficial here and in other functions I found that by compiling the Map function I can gain some more speed, lets compile the whole thing.


mapfindpointsC = 
Compile[{{data, _Real, 2}}, Map[findpointsC[data, #] &, data],

CompilationTarget -> "C", RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable},
Parallelization -> True, RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"];

mapfindpointsC[data]

(*CompiledFunction::cflist: Nontensor object generated; proceeding with uncompiled evaluation. >>*)

However, as per the error message, in this case the output is ragged.


TensorQ[output]


(*False*)

I've tried to flatten the output from map but nothing I can think of works. Is it possible to compile this expression.



Answer



Please compare


Map[findpointsC[data, #] &, data]; // AbsoluteTiming
(* {3.567939, Null} *)

and


findpointsC[data, data] ; // AbsoluteTiming

(* {0.841954, Null} *)

And of course is


Map[findpointsC[data, #] &, data] == findpointsC[data, data] 
(* True *)

The explanation is simple: You typed RuntimeAttributes->{Listable} and Parallelization but you have not used it.


Explanation for your error message


The problem with your Map arises because Compiled functions can only work with rectangular arrays. Since every point has (most likely) a different number of points in its neighborhood, the result array is ragged, or not rectangular.


It's not enough to use Flatten because even then, you still create such a ragged array. One (slower) way out of this is to collect all points in a linear list, but then you loose the information, which point-set was created by which point. This cannot be the goal, if the solution is as simple as described above. Anyway, as you might have seen we had a topic here about Internal`Bag which can be used to collect an unknown number of elements. Please see the discussion in the thread



Internal`Bag inside Compile


Based on this, you could make an all in one compiled function which I only give for reference and not for usage. It is much slower than the Listable approach. I use the already compiled function findpointsC by using With and giving the option


CompilationOptions -> {"InlineCompiledFunctions" -> True}

I have replaced your Map with a Do loop which runs over all points and finds the nearest neighbors. To insert such a list of points into an Internal`Bag we have to Flatten it which can be done with the 3rd parameter of Internal`StuffBag. To reshape the flat list at the end into a list of points I use Partition


mapfindpointsC =
With[{fpC = findpointsC},
Compile[{{data, _Real, 2}},
Module[{result = Internal`Bag[Most[{.0}]]},
Do[Internal`StuffBag[result, fpC[data, pt], 2], {pt, data}];

Partition[Internal`BagPart[result, All], 3]
], CompilationTarget -> "C", RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable},
Parallelization -> True, RuntimeOptions -> "Speed",
CompilationOptions -> {"InlineCompiledFunctions" -> True}]
]

mapfindpointsC[data]; // AbsoluteTiming

(* {3.831499, Null} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...