Skip to main content

scripting - Running Mathematica Notebook files in command mode


The question is, how can I run a .nb file in the kernel mode of Mathematica? I am not an expert in Mathematica, but one of our users who use this program says that in the GUI mode, he selects all the cells (CTRL+A) and then evaluates the notebook (SHIFT+ENTER). However, he wants to run the program in background.


When I test with math < file.nb, the program quickly exits; however, in the GUI mode, the run time is very large actually.


I read other documentation articles about that, but since I am not expert in Mathmatica, I have no idea!


As an example, solve.nb file is an input to the command math -run < solve.nb. The output is also available here.


enter image description here


I have no idea what the output means :|



I simply tried to port the solution to Linux. So I wrote a solve.m file containing


NotebookPauseForEvaluation[nb_] := Module[{},

While[NotebookEvaluatingQ[nb],Pause[1]]];

NotebookEvaluatingQ[nb_]:=Module[{},
SelectionMove[nb,All,Notebook];
Or@@Map["Evaluating"/.#&,Developer`CellInformation[nb]]
];

UsingFrontEnd[
nb = NotebookOpen["/home/mahmood/solve.nb"];
SelectionMove[nb, All, Notebook];

SelectionEvaluate[nb]
NotebookPauseForEvaluation[nb];
NotebookSave[nb];
];

Quit[];

Here is the output of what I see


mahmood@cluster:~$ MathKernel -noprompt -initfile solve.m 
mahmood@cluster:~$

LinkConnect::linkc: -- Message text not found -- (LinkObject[7wkjs_shm, 3, 1])
^C
mahmood@cluster:~$

Note that I pressec ^c after several minutes. Also, the is no output file containing th results.



I tried the solution as given by selecting the cells, initialize them and then save the file as .m. I did that on a GUI machine. The saved script file contains


(* ::Package:: *)
a = 3;
Solve[x^2 + a*x + 1 == 0, x]


As you can see, the last line in the notebook file is not there in the script file. I ran the command and saw


mahmood@cluster:~$ /apps/Mathematica/10.3/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-x86-64/MathematicaScript -script solve3.m 
mahmood@cluster:~$

Is that all? There is no output file containing the result




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...