Skip to main content

output formatting - is it possible to change/customize some conversions done by TeXForm?


I use TeXForm to convert output of some computation to Latex. I'd like to ask if there is a way to override/change/customize some of these conversions, related to just the name Mathematica assigns to some special functions in its Latex output, since it is not clear what they are in the Latex after the conversion.


Here is an example. FresnelC function is changed to C in Latex. So someone reading the latex PDF, will not really know what C is and I like to keep the name as FresnelC. I suppose I could add note saying that C is FresnelC, but this is all automated, and I do not know before hand that the solution being generated even has FresnelC in it to make the note. I just look at the final Latex output.


MWE


sol = y[t] /. First@DSolve[y'[t] + y[t] Sqrt[t] Sin[t] == 0, y[t], t]


Mathematica graphics


But the Latex output is


TeXForm[sol]
(* c_1 e^{\sqrt{t} \cos (t)-\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{2}}
C\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi }} \sqrt{t}\right)} *)

Which is rendered as


$$c_1 e^{\sqrt{t} \cos (t)-\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{2}} C\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi }} \sqrt{t}\right)}$$


I'd like it to still show as the full name FresnelC


$$c_1 e^{\sqrt{t} \cos (t)-\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{2}} \text{FresnelC}\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi }} \sqrt{t}\right)}$$



So it is more clear. This is how Maple does it also:


Mathematica graphics


This does not only affect the above function, but others as well. For example


 TeXForm[CosIntegral[x]]

gives


$$\text{Ci}(x)$$ and I'd like to keep the same in the Latex as the name in the Mathematica command.


$$\text{CosIntegral}(x)$$


Since it is more clear.


Question is: Is there a way to customize some of these conversions?




Answer



You could use my TeXUtilities package:


Import@"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jkuczm/MathematicaTeXUtilities/master/NoInstall.m"

Unprotect[FresnelC, CosIntegral];
Format[FresnelC@x_, TeXForm] := TeXVerbatim["\\operatorname{FresnelC}"]@x
Format[CosIntegral@x_, TeXForm] := TeXVerbatim["\\operatorname{CosIntegral}"]@x
(* Move TeXForm format to begining of FormatValues so they take precedence over existing ones. *)
(FormatValues@# = Join[#@False, #@True]&@GroupBy[FormatValues@#, FreeQ@TeXForm]) & /@ {FresnelC, CosIntegral};
Protect[FresnelC, CosIntegral];


Now use TeXForm as usual:


y[t] /. First@DSolve[y'[t] + y[t] Sqrt[t] Sin[t] == 0, y[t], t] // TeXForm
(* c_1 e^{\sqrt{t} \cos (t)-\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{2}} \operatorname{FresnelC}\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi }} \sqrt{t}\right)} *)


$c_1 e^{\sqrt{t} \cos (t)-\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{2}} \operatorname{FresnelC}\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi }} \sqrt{t}\right)}$



CosIntegral[x] // TeXForm
(* \operatorname{CosIntegral}(x) *)



$\operatorname{CosIntegral}(x)$



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...