Skip to main content

How do I check if any element in a list is positive?


As a simple example of what I would like to do, suppose I have a list a of all real numbers. I would like to perform a simple check to see if some element of a is positive. Of course, I could do this with a simple loop, but I feel as if Mathematica would have a more efficient way of doing this, in the spirit of functional programming. Is there, or do I just have to do this with a clumsy loop:


test=False; For[counter=1;counter<=Length[a];counter++;If[a[[counter]]>0,test=True;];];

Answer



If I understand you correctly, simply test if the maximum value in the list is Positive:



Positive @ Max @ a

Speed comparison with other methods that were posted:


timeAvg = 
Function[func,
Do[If[# > 0.3, Return[#/5^i]] & @@ Timing@Do[func, {5^i}], {i, 0, 15}],
HoldFirst];

a = RandomInteger[{-1*^7, 2}, 1*^7];


MemberQ[a, _?Positive] // timeAvg

Total@UnitStep[-a] =!= Length@a // timeAvg

Positive@Max@a // timeAvg


0.593


0.0624


0.01148






Early-exit methods


Although very fast, especially with packed lists, the method above does scan the entire list with no possibility for an early exit when a positive elements occurs near the front of the list. In that case a test that does not scan the entire list may be faster, such as the one that R.M posted. Exploring such methods I propose this:


! VectorQ[a, NonPositive]

Unlike MemberQ, VectorQ does not unpack a packed list.


Timings compared to MemberQ and Max, first with an early positive appearance:


SeedRandom[1]
a = RandomReal[{-1*^7, 1000}, 1*^7];


Positive @ Max @ a // timeAvg
! VectorQ[a, NonPositive] // timeAvg
MemberQ[a, _?Positive] // timeAvg


0.008736

0.00013984


0.2528

(Most of the MemberQ time is spent unpacking the list.)


Then no positive appearance (full scan):


a = RandomInteger[{-1*^7, 0}, 1*^7];

Positive @ Max @ a // timeAvg
! VectorQ[a, NonPositive] // timeAvg
MemberQ[a, _?Positive] // timeAvg



0.01148

1.544

2.528

Finally a mid-range appearance of a positive value in an unpacked list:


a = RandomReal[{-50, 0}, 1*^7];
a[[5*^6]] = 1;


Positive @ Max @ a // timeAvg
! VectorQ[a, NonPositive] // timeAvg
MemberQ[a, _?Positive] // timeAvg


0.212

0.702


1.045

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...