Skip to main content

Same name for functions in package and Global context


I am using a package that was written for Mathematica 3 while I am now working on Mathematica 8. I have issues with 2 functions in particular, Order and GraphComplement. They are a part of this package but are also present in Mathematica 8 by default but with distinctly different arguments and working. (I am assuming they weren't around in Mathematica 3)


Now when I make use of some other functions in this package they make calls to both Order and GraphComplement and it keeps trying to use the in built wolfram version. I instead want it to use the one that comes with the package.


Can anyone point me to the right direction?



Answer



If I understand the problem I think I can help, but what I propose is a bit weird. I think you have a package that uses the unqualified Symbol name Order internally, and you need the package not to see the System`Order Symbol while it is defined. To effect this you can temporarily change the Context of Order, then put it back after loading the package.



As an example here is a bare-bones package defining a function foo that uses an internal definition for Order:


BeginPackage["MyStuff`"]

foo::usage = "my function";

Begin["`Private`"]

Order[args___] := {args} === Sort[{args}];

foo[a_, b_] := If[Order[a, b], "Arguments are in order", "Arguments are out of order"]


End[]

EndPackage[]

After saving this to foo.m if I call Get[foo.m] and try to use foo I have a problem:


Get["foo.m"]

foo[1, 2]



SetDelayed::write: Tag Order in Order[args___] is Protected. >>


If[1, "Arguments are in order", "Arguments are out of order"]

But if, after restarting the kernel, I first move Order out of the System context before loading the package:


Context[System`Order] = "hold`";

Get["foo.m"]

Context[hold`Order] = "System`";


I can now call my foo as intended:


foo[1, 2]
foo[4, 2]


"Arguments are in order"

"Arguments are out of order"


This works because while the package is being defined Order is not found in the context path, and a new Symbol MyStuff`Private`Order is created and defined instead:


Definition[foo]


foo[MyStuff`Private`a_, MyStuff`Private`b_] := 
If[MyStuff`Private`Order[MyStuff`Private`a, MyStuff`Private`b],
"Arguments are in order",
"Arguments are out of order"]

And Order still works elsewhere as its context is restored:



Order["a", "b"]


1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...