Skip to main content

plotting - Drawing the Pursuit curves


I was reading this post on Filling Space with Pursuit Polygons. I didn't really see where the filling was, but found it quite interesting.


Then I saw these pursuit curves.



enter image description here


They seem to have used a different logarithm. For example looking at the square, by tweaking the code from the previous code, I got this


With[{data = {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, 1}, {0, 1}, {0, 0}}},  Graphics[{Table[{Scale[       Rotate[Line[data], 90/11*x Degree], {x, x}]}, {x, 0, 11}]}]]

enter image description here


Both picture has 11 sets of squares. With a bit trial and error, I got as close as possible by changing the angles.


How can I get the identical pictures?


And these ones below, which looks more challenging. enter image description here enter image description here



Answer



In this answer of mine I wrote a simple function that will draw the curve you are after, given an arbitrary polygon:



g[x_] := Fold[Append[#1, BSplineFunction[#1[[#2]], SplineDegree -> 1][.1]] &, x, Partition[Range[200], 2, 1]]

For example, given the triangle


ListPlot[Prepend[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}], AspectRatio -> 1, Joined -> True, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here


we get


ListPlot[Prepend[g@{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}], AspectRatio -> 1, Joined -> True, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here



With this, it is just a matter of combining triangles to generate all the figures in the OP.


For example, given the hexagon


ListPlot[{Prepend[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}], Prepend[{{1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}, {3/2, Sqrt[3]/2}], Prepend[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}}, {1/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}], Prepend[{{1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}}, {3/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}], Prepend[{{1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}, {3/2, Sqrt[3]/2}, {1, 0}}, {1, 0}], Prepend[{{1/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}, {3/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}, {1, 0}}, {1, 0}]}, AspectRatio -> 1, Joined -> True, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here


we get


ListPlot[{Prepend[g@{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}], Prepend[g@{{1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}, {3/2, Sqrt[3]/2}], Prepend[g@{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}}, {1/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}], Prepend[g@{{1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}}, {3/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}], Prepend[g@{{1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}, {3/2, Sqrt[3]/2}, {1, 0}}, {1, 0}], Prepend[g@{{1/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}, {3/2, -(Sqrt[3]/2)}, {1, 0}}, {1, 0}]}, AspectRatio -> 1, Joined -> True, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here


Tweaking the parameters and using black lines, we get



enter image description here


which is almost identical to the figure in the OP. Similarly,


enter image description here


while the rest of figures are left to the reader.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...