Skip to main content

plotting - Geodesics on a torus


Is it possible to draw geodesics between the points in a path on a torus - toroidal surface?


geodesics: generalization of the notion of a "straight line" to "curved spaces"


paths = {{{348.488, 132.622}, {336.333, 63.6857}, {394.365, 24.5422},
{39.3603, 78.1653}, {109.094, 84.2662}, {170.317, 50.3295},
{195.403, 115.68}, {263.324, 132.615}, {316.947, 177.61},
{381.382, 150.259}, {49.8526, 164.812}, {41.3217, 95.3342},

{11.7384, 158.776}, {65.3616, 113.781}, {5.35985, 77.728},
{18.7165, 9.01408}, {358.715, 372.961}, {394.767, 312.96},
{340.367, 268.907}, {313.016, 333.343}, {269.92, 388.503}}};

The plot has some problem because periodic boundary conditions (PBCs).


The plot has some problem because periodic boundary conditions (PBCs).



Answer



I don't know if there's a simple way to find geodesics on a torus, but I can give you a general way to find geodesics on any curved surface.


First, I define the torus:


r = 3;

torus[{u_, v_}] := {Cos[u]*(Sin[v] + r), Sin[u]*(Sin[v] + r), Cos[v]}

My initial attempt was then to use variational methods to derive a formula for geodesics:


Needs["VariationalMethods`"]
eq = EulerEquations[Sqrt[Total[D[torus[{u, v[u]}], u]^2]], v[u], u];

And use ParametricNDSolve & FindRoot to find the right parameters that connect the start and end point on the torus:


geodesic[{{u1_, v1_}, {u2_, v2_}}] := Module[{start, g, sol},
If[u2 < u1, Return[geodesic[{{u2, v2}, {u1, v1}}]]];
sol = ParametricNDSolve[Flatten[{

eq, v[0] == v1, v'[0] == a
}], v, {u, 0, u2 - u1}, {a}];
start = a /. FindRoot[Evaluate[(v[a][u2 - u1] - v2 /. sol)], {a, 0}];
g = v[start] /. sol;
Function[t, {u1 + t*(u2 - u1), g[t*(u2 - u1)]}]
]

So given two points, geodesic will return a function that maps a number $0\leq t\leq 1$ to torus coordinates of the right geodesic:


LocatorPane[
Dynamic[pts],

Dynamic[ParametricPlot[Evaluate[geodesic[pts][t]], {t, 0, 1},
PlotRange -> {{-π, π}, {-π, π}}, Axes -> True,
AspectRatio -> 1/r]]]

enter image description here


Show[
ParametricPlot3D[
torus[{u, v}], {u, -π, π}, {v, -π, π},
PlotStyle -> White, ImageSize -> 500],
ParametricPlot3D[Evaluate[torus[geodesic[pts][t]]], {t, 0, 1},

PlotStyle -> Red]
]

enter image description here


Unfortunately, for some points, FindRoot becomes very slow or doesn't even find the right solution. (In that case, geodesic still returns a proper geodesic, it just doesn't end where you want it to end.)


So my second attempt uses unconstrained minimization, i.e. I optimize N "control points" along a path to get the shortest path, then interpolate between the control points:


Clear[geodesicFindMin]
geodesicFindMin[{p1_, p2_}, nPts_: 25] :=
Module[{approximatePts, optimizeOffset, optimizeOffsets, direction,
normal, pathLength, optimalPath, interpolations, len, solution},

direction = p2 - p1;
normal = {{0, 1}, {-1, 0}}.direction;

approximatePts = Join[
{p1},
Table[
p1 + i*direction/(nPts + 1) + optimizeOffset[i]*normal, {i,
nPts}],
{p2}];


pathLength = Total[Norm /@ Differences[torus /@ approximatePts]];

{len, solution} =
Quiet[FindMinimum[pathLength,
Table[{optimizeOffset[i], 0}, {i, nPts}]]];
optimalPath = approximatePts /. solution;

interpolations =
ListInterpolation[#, {{0, 1}}] & /@ Transpose[optimalPath];


Function[t, #[t] & /@ interpolations]
]

Usage is the same as before, only this version works much smoother:


LocatorPane[
Dynamic[pts],
Dynamic[ParametricPlot[Evaluate[geodesicFindMin[pts][t]], {t, 0, 1},
PlotRange -> {{-π, π}, {-2 π, 2 π}}, Axes -> True,
AspectRatio -> 2/r]]]


enter image description here


Show[
ParametricPlot3D[
torus[{u, v}], {u, -π, π}, {v, -π, π},
PlotStyle -> Directive[White], ImageSize -> 500],
ParametricPlot3D[Evaluate[torus[geodesicFindMin[pts][t]]], {t, 0, 1},
PlotStyle -> Red]
]

enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...