Skip to main content

pure function - Subtracting elements in a nested list



I have a list containing 500 rows, each of 37 elements; i.e., a 500 x 37 matrix.


My goal is to substract in each row each element from the first. My approach in mind is to call each list by a PureFunction and then to subtract the second element from the first, then the third from the first so in the end I would have a list with 500 sublists, each with 36 elements. I failed to figure out how to call single elements if, as in my case, the the list is called by a PureFunction. I also tried to work with slots, again failing to call the single elements of the already called list. I highly appreciat any help or comments!



Answer



If mat is your matrix, the following should be fast:


mat . SparseArray[
{{1,_} -> 1, Band[{2,1}] -> -1},
Dimensions[mat][[2]]+{0,-1}
]

Addendum



Here is a brief speed comparison of the 4 suggested methods:


wreach[m_] := m[[All, 1]] - m[[All, 2 ;;]]
carl[m_] := m . SparseArray[
{{1, _} -> 1, Band[{2, 1}] -> -1},
Dimensions[m][[2]] + {0, -1}
]
goldberg[m_] := #1 - {##2} & @@@ m
tom[m_] := #[[1]] - #[[2 ;;]] & /@ m

A sample matrix:



mat = RandomReal[10^6, {10^5, 30}];

Speed comparison:


r1 = carl[mat]; // AbsoluteTiming
r2 = wreach[mat]; // AbsoluteTiming
r3 = goldberg[mat]; // AbsoluteTiming
r4 = tom[mat]; // AbsoluteTiming
r1 === r2 === r3 === r4



{0.013968, Null}


{0.029711, Null}


{1.4249, Null}


{0.346468, Null}


True



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...