Skip to main content

plotting - Constrain Locator to specified region


How can I constrain the locator to stay within the region defined by RegionPlot?


When the Locator remains within the region, NDSolve generates a periodic solution. (The boundary of the region represents a homoclinic orbit for the DE. When the Locator is outside the boundary of the region, NDSolve generates an unbounded orbit. Actually, the boundary of the region is the solution to the DE with initial condition $x(0) = -6,\; y(0) = 0$.)


Additionally a strange behavior occurs whenever the left mouse button is pressed: the right end of the region is truncated. Why?


Manipulate[

region = RegionPlot[y^2 < x^2*(1 + x/6), {x, -6, 0}, {y, -2.5, 2.5}];
sol = NDSolve[{x'[t] == y[t], y'[t] == x[t] + x[t]^2/4,
x[0] == p[[1]], y[0] == p[[2]]}, {x, y}, {t, 0, T}];
psol = ParametricPlot[Evaluate[{x[t], y[t]} /. sol], {t, 0, T},
PlotRange -> {{-6, 0}, {-3, 3}}, PlotStyle -> Red ];
Show[{region, psol}], {{p, {-2, 0}}, Locator}, {{T, 5}, 0, 12, 0.1}]

I suspect that Dynamic needs to be introduced here, but I don't know how to implement it successfully.



Answer







  • How can I constrain the Locator to stay within the region defined by RegionPlot?



    You can check if Locator's coordinates fulfill the condition defining your region. It can be done with the second argument of Dynamic if you introduce Locator explicitly. Take a look at line with Locator[Dynamic[p, With[{...





  • A strange behavior occurs whenever the left mouse button is pressed: the right end of the region is truncated. Why?




    The body of a Manipulate is effectively wrapped with Dynamic. Each time you move something, it will be evaluated. During dynamic evaluation $PerformanceGoal is set to "Speed" unless you change it. It results in less sampling points and cut corners.


    You can change it to "Quality" but here there is no point in evaluating region each time anyway. It is independent from T and p so let's do it outside, once for good.




Edit:





  • Your answer is just what I wanted though I need to create a CDF demo. Unfortunately I obtained an error message upon creating a CDF from your answer.




    That's because region definition is forgotten as soon as the Kernel is quit, in contrast to Manipulates and DynamicModules variables generated "on fly" like sol and psol here.


    You can use SaveDefinitions->True or inject the region with With.





  • I also tried to change the appearance of the locator to a disk but was challenged there as well.



    For custom Locators it is better to set Appearance->None and display whatever you want in its coordinates.





With[{
region = RegionPlot[y^2 < x^2*(1 + x/6), {x, -6, 0}, {y, -2.5, 2.5}]
},

Manipulate[
sol = NDSolve[
{x'[t] == y[t], y'[t] == x[t] + x[t]^2/4,
x[0] == p[[1]], y[0] == p[[2]]},
{x, y}, {t, 0, T}
];

psol = ParametricPlot[Evaluate[{x[t], y[t]} /. sol], {t, 0, T},
PlotRange -> {{-6, 0}, {-3, 3}}, PlotStyle -> Red
];

Show[{
region, psol,
Graphics[{
Dynamic @ Disk[p, .1],
Locator[Dynamic[p,
With[{x = #[[1]], y = #[[2]]}, If[y^2 < x^2*(1 + x/6), p = #]] &],

Appearance -> None
]
}]
},
AspectRatio -> Automatic
],
{{p, {-2, 0}}, None}, {{T, 5}, 0, 12, 0.1}
]]

enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...