Skip to main content

programming - Sum over n variables


What is the most painless way to sum over n variables, for example, if the range of summation is $i_1 < i_2 < i_3 < \dots < i_n$, where $n$ is an argument of the function in question?


Is there a package for this and more complex summation ranges?


I am not happy with programming loops all the time for this common summation range and if one has a large summation range, one cannot just use a combinat command to generate all subsets of a certain size, if this takes too much memory.


Example:


$$f(n)=\sum_{0 < i_1 < i_2 < \dots < i_n < 2n+1} \qquad \prod_{1\le r < s \le n} (i_s-i_r) $$



Answer



You can write a few helper functions to help you. The following can probably be streamlined...



vars[s_String, n_Integer?Positive] := Table[Symbol[s <> ToString[i]], {i, 1, n}]
vars[sym_Symbol, num_] := vars[SymbolName[sym], num]

nestedRange[vars_List, min_, max_] /; min <= max :=
Transpose@{vars, ConstantArray[min, Length[vars]], Append[Rest@vars, max]}

nestedSum[f_, vars:{__Symbol}, min_, max_] /; min <= max :=
With[{r = Sequence @@ Reverse@nestedRange[vars, min, max]}, Sum[f, r]]
nestedSum[f_, {var:(_String|_Symbol), num_Integer?Positive},
min_, max_] /; min <= max := nestedSum[f, vars[var, num], min, max]


Then, for example


nestedSum[f[a, b, c], {a, b, c}, 0, Infinity] // TraditionalForm

produces screenshot


A larger sum is


In[]:= nestedSum[Total@vars[i, 4], {i, 4}, 1, 20] // Timing
Out[]= {0.016001, 371910}

which can be compared with evaluating the same thing using Boole



In[]:= v = vars[i, 4];
With[{r = Sequence@@Table[{n, 1, 20}, {n, v}]},
Sum[Boole[LessEqual@@v] Total@v, r]] // Timing
Out[]= {0.056003, 371910}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...