Skip to main content

How can I tally continuous sequences in a list?


I have a stream of data like this:


0001100111100000111111001110000001111111111000000111000111110000...

(I can represent them as a list, like in {0,0,0,1,1,...}, I guess that's easier to work with.)


Now I want to count how many sequences of two "1"s, three "1"s, etc there are (the zeros lengths are not important, they're just separators), to show them in a histogram. I have no problems doing this procedural, but functional programming remains difficult for me. While I don't mind pausing for a cup of coffee (there's 4.8 million data points), I guess in functional programming this will be orders of magnitude faster. How do I do this with functional programming?


Note
"0011100" only counts as a sequence of length 3, the two sub-sequences of length 2 should not be taken into account.



Answer




If your data is in list form (conversion from string will swamp advantage), this should be quite a bit faster (5-50+X than existing answers, timings on the loungbook, so I'd expect 10+X faster for all on W/S):


tOnes = Module[{p = Append[Pick[Range@Length@#, #, 1], 0], sa},
If[p === {0}, {},
sa = SparseArray[Subtract[Rest@p, Most@p], Automatic, 1]["AdjacencyLists"];
Tally[Differences[Prepend[sa, 0]]]]] &;

Comparable in speed, and arguably prettier:


tOnes2 = With[{d = Join[{0}, #, {0}]}, 
Tally[Differences@DeleteDuplicates@Pick[Accumulate@d, d, 0]]] &;


Comparison:


(* make some data & string/digit equivalents for string/Mr.W solutions *)
data = RandomInteger[{0, 1}, 4000000];
strng = StringJoin[ToString /@ data];
mwdata = FromDigits[data];
ClearSystemCache[]

(* eldo *)
eldotim =
First@Timing[

eldo = Tally@
Select[StringLength /@ StringSplit[strng, "0"], # > 0 &];];

(* Mr. W *)
mwtim = First@
Timing[mwr =
Tally[Length /@ Split[IntegerDigits@mwdata][[;; ;; 2]]];];

(* 2012rcampion *)
rctim = First@Timing[

lengths = Cases[Split[data], l : {1, ___} :> Length[l]];
tally = Tally[lengths];
];

(* kguler *)
kgtim = First@
Timing[tally2 = Tally@StringLength@StringCases[strng, "1" ..];];

(* Me *)
me1tim = First@Timing[me = tOnes@data;];

me2tim = First@Timing[me2 = tOnes2@data;];

Transpose[{{"Mr.W", "eldo", "2012rcampion", "kguler", "Me1", "Me2"},
{mwtim, eldotim, rctim, kgtim, me1tim, me2tim}}] // TableForm

(* Check *)
me == me2 == tally == eldo == tally2 == mwr

enter image description here


(* True *)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...