Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Check homework integration in Mathematica



Given in my homework I have to compute (by hand) $$\iint\limits_{x^2+y^2\leq 1}(x^2+y^2)\,\mathrm dx\,\,\mathrm dy.$$ My solution so far: Let $f(x,y)=x^2+y^2$ and $K=\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2:x^2+y^2\leq 1\}$. With the transformation of polar coordinates $\varphi:(r,\phi)\mapsto(r\cdot\cos\phi,r\cdot\sin\phi)=(x,y)$ and the determinant of the Jacobian matrix $|\det D_\varphi|=r$ we can rewrite the set as $K=\{(r\cdot\cos\phi,r\cdot\sin\phi):r\in[0,1],\phi\in[0,2\pi]\}$ and our integrand too as $f(x,y)=x^2+y^2=r^2$. $$\iint\limits_K f(x,y)\,\mathrm dx\,\mathrm dy=\int\limits_0^1\int\limits_0^{2\pi}r^2\cdot |\det D_\varphi|\,\mathrm d\phi\,\mathrm dr=2\pi\int\limits_0^1r^3\,\mathrm dr=\left.2\pi\cdot\frac{1}{4}r^4\right|_0^1=\frac{\pi}{2}.$$


I now want to check the result with a CAS. I am pretty new to Mathematica so I just didn't found any clue on how to enter such an integral for computation. Any help out there?



Answer



In Mathematica:


Integrate[Integrate[x^2 + y^2, {x, -Sqrt[1 - y^2], Sqrt[1 - y^2]}], {y, -1, 1}]

Or, shorter:


Integrate[x^2 + y^2, {y, -1, 1}, {x, -Sqrt[1 - y^2], Sqrt[1 - y^2]}]

The main trick is to calculate the bound on $x$ based on the current value of $y$, which is what you need to make the integration bounds explicit. Indeed, $x_{max}=\sqrt{1-y^2}$. This is something you can do in most integral-calculating math software.


You can also define the region implicitly, see this.


For this specific problem, that would give:



Integrate[(x^2 + y^2) Boole[x^2 + y^2 <= 1], {y, -100, 100}, {x, -100, 100}]

Where the "100" bounds are just to limit the computation. However, Mathematica is even smart enough to calculate:


Integrate[(x^2 + y^2) Boole[x^2 + y^2 <= 1], {y, -Infinity, 
Infinity}, {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...