Skip to main content

functions - Partitioning a list when the cumulative sum exceeds 1


I have a long list of say 1 million Uniform(0,1) random numbers, such as:


 dat = {0.71, 0.685, 0.16, 0.82, 0.73, 0.44, 0.89, 0.02, 0.47, 0.65}

I want to partition this list whenever the cumulative sum exceeds 1. For the above data, the desired output would be:



{{0.71, 0.685}, {0.16, 0.82, 0.73}, {0.44, 0.89}, {0.02, 0.47, 0.65}}



I was trying to find a neat way to do this efficiently with Split combined with say Accumulate or FoldList or Total, but my attempts with Split have not been fruitful. Any suggestions?



Answer




dat = {0.71, 0.685, 0.16, 0.82, 0.73, 0.44, 0.89, 0.02, 0.47, 0.65};

Module[{t = 0},
Split[dat, (t += #) <= 1 || (t = 0) &]
]


{{0.71, 0.685}, {0.16, 0.82, 0.73}, {0.44, 0.89}, {0.02, 0.47, 0.65}}

Credit to Simon Woods for getting me to think about using Or in applications like this.





Performance


I decided to make an attempt at a higher performing solution at the cost of elegance and clarity.


f2[dat_List] := Module[{bin, lns},
bin = 1 - Unitize @ FoldList[If[# <= 1`, #, 0`] & @ +## &, dat];
lns = SparseArray[bin]["AdjacencyLists"] ~Prepend~ 0 // Differences;
Internal`PartitionRagged[dat,
If[# > 0, Append[lns, #], lns] &[Length @ dat - Tr @ lns]
]
]


And a second try at performance using Szabolcs's inversion:


f3[dat_List] :=
Module[{bin},
bin = 1 - Unitize @ FoldList[If[# <= 1`, #, 0`] & @ +## &, dat];
bin = Reverse @ Accumulate @ Reverse @ bin;
dat[[#]] & /@ GatherBy[Range @ Length @ dat, bin[[#]] &]
]

Using SplitBy seems natural here but it tested slower than GatherBy.



Modified October 2018 to use Carl Woll's GatherByList:


GatherByList[list_, representatives_] := Module[{func},
func /: Map[func, _] := representatives;
GatherBy[list, func]
]

f4[dat_List] :=
Module[{bin},
bin = 1 - Unitize @ FoldList[If[# <= 1`, #, 0`] & @ +## &, dat];
bin = Reverse @ Accumulate @ Reverse @ bin;

GatherByList[dat, bin]
]

The other functions to compare:


f1[dat_List] := Module[{t = 0}, Split[dat, (t += #) <= 1 || (t = 0) &]]

fqwerty[dat_List] :=
Module[{f},
f[x_, y_] := Module[{new}, If[Total[new = Append[x, y]] >= 1, Sow[new]; {}, new]];
Reap[Fold[f, {}, dat]][[2, 1]]

]

fAlgohi[dat_List] :=
Module[{i = 0, r},
Split[dat, (If[r, , i = 0]; i += #; r = i <= 1) &]
]

And a single point benchmark using "a long list of say 1 million Uniform(0,1) random numbers:"


SeedRandom[0]
test = RandomReal[1, 1*^6];


fqwerty[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming
fAlgohi[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming
f1[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming
f2[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming
f3[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming
f4[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming
main1[test] // Length // RepeatedTiming (* from LLlAMnYP's answer *)



{6.54, 368130}

{1.59, 368131}

{1.29, 368131}

{0.474, 368131}

{0.8499, 368131}


{0.4921, 368131}

{0.2622, 368131}

I note that qwerty's solution has one less sublist in the output because he does not include the final trailing elements if they do not exceed one. I do not know which behavior is desired.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...