Skip to main content

probability or statistics - FindDistributionParameters fails with custom distribution?


Context


I would like to find the MaximumLikelihood solution of a customized PDF


Let's start with a built in PDF. Following the documentation


dat = RandomVariate[LaplaceDistribution[2, 1], 1000];
param=FindDistributionParameters[dat, LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ],
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood", Method -> "NMaximize"}]


(* {μ->2.27258,σ->0.521354} *)


Show[Plot[
PDF[LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ] /. param, x], {x, -5, 5}],
Histogram[dat, Automatic, "PDF"]]

Mathematica graphics


works as expected. It finds a good estimator of $\mu$ and $\sigma$.


The problem


Now let me do the same with a customized PDF. Here I just impose that my custom PDF cannot be evaluated before it is given numerical values.


Clear[myLaplaceDistribution];

myLaplaceDistribution[μ_?NumberQ, σ_?NumberQ] :=
LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ]

Then


dat = RandomVariate[LaplaceDistribution[2, 1], 10];
FindDistributionParameters[dat, myLaplaceDistribution[μ, σ],
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood", Method -> "NMaximize"}]

does not return a maximum likelihood estimate.


I am using 10.3.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (October 9, 2015)



Question:



Any suggestions on how to make FindDistributionParameters work with unevaluated PDFs?



PS: I am aware of this https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/107914/1089 but here this question is a bit more general than simply a transformed distribution? And I have tried


dat = RandomVariate[LaplaceDistribution[2, 1], 10];
FindDistributionParameters[dat,
myLaplaceDistribution[μ, σ], {{μ,
Mean[dat]}, {σ, Mean[dat]}},
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood", Method -> "NMaximize"}]


it does not seems to help.


Update


This related answer https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/61426/1089 does not seem to help.


If I define explicitly the domain for the PDF


  Clear[myLaplaceDistribution2];
myLaplaceDistribution2[μ_?NumberQ, σ_?NumberQ] :=
ProbabilityDistribution[
PDF[LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ], x], {x, -Infinity,
Infinity}, Assumptions -> (μ ∈ Reals && σ > 0)]


It still fails


dat = RandomVariate[LaplaceDistribution[2, 1], 10];
FindDistributionParameters[dat,
myLaplaceDistribution2[μ, σ], {{μ,
Mean[dat]}, {σ, Mean[dat]}},
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood", Method -> "NMaximize"}]

As @J.M. points out one can use the fact that Mathematica can cope with the fact the PDF need not be normalized. As follows


Clear[myLaplaceDistribution3];

myLaplaceDistribution3[μ_, σ_] =
ProbabilityDistribution[
2 PDF[LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ],
x], {x, -∞, ∞},
Assumptions -> (μ ∈ Reals && σ > 0),
Method -> "Normalize"]

(Note the factor of 2 in front of PDF to make the PDF not normalized.)


Then


dat = RandomVariate[LaplaceDistribution[2, 1], 10];

FindDistributionParameters[dat, myLaplaceDistribution3[μ, σ],
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood"}]

works.



I still think there must be situations where the PDF cannot be known before its arguments are known, and where Maximum likelihood analysis would make sense?



Note that I can always make my own:


MyFindDistributionParameters[data_, distrib_, var_] :=
NMaximize[{Total[Log@ PDF[distrib, #] & /@ data],

DistributionParameterAssumptions[distrib]}, var][[2]];

MyFindDistributionParameters[dat,LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ], {μ, σ}]

but I was hoping Mathematica would provide me with a more efficient algorithm? (this seems to be 10 times slower than the built in function).



Answer



If you follow @J.M. 's advice removing ?NumberQ from the definition of the probability distribution makes everything work fine:


Clear[myLaplaceDistribution];
SeedRandom[12345];
myLaplaceDistribution[μ_, σ_] := LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ]

dat = RandomVariate[LaplaceDistribution[2, 1], 10];
FindDistributionParameters[dat, myLaplaceDistribution[μ, σ],
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood", Method -> "NMaximize"}]
(* {μ -> 1.8804870321227085,σ -> 0.7153183538699862} *)

I don't know what you mean by "Here I just impose that my custom PDF cannot be evaluated before it is given numerical values." Your first example doesn't have the two parameters evaluated as numbers and it works fine:


param=FindDistributionParameters[dat, LaplaceDistribution[μ, σ],
ParameterEstimator -> {"MaximumLikelihood", Method -> "NMaximize"}]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...