Skip to main content

Plotting the frequency spectrum of a data series using Fourier


testData = Table[N@Sin[500 x], {x, 0, 100}];
ListLinePlot[Abs[Fourier[testData]], PlotRange -> Full]


Gives me


enter image description here


Which I do not expect because the Fourier Transform is FourierTransform[Sin[500 x], x, f],



I Sqrt[Pi/2] DiracDelta[-500+f]-I Sqrt[Pi/2] DiracDelta[500+f]

I'm not saying that Mathematica's Fourier function is somehow faulty. But could someone please explain why there isn't a peak around 500? This is the frequency of the signal after all...



Answer



As mentioned by @Rahul, you have not sampled your sine wave often enough and have introduced artifacts due to aliasing. The frequency of Sin[500 x]=Sin[2 Pi f x] is $f=500/(2\pi)$, which is about 80 Hz. At least two samples per cycle are required to avoid aliasing, hence the default $x$ interval of 1 in {x,0,100} must be reduced to less than about $1/(2*80)=0.006$.



In addition, the discrete fast Fourier transform assumes periodicity. Hence, care must be taken to match endpoints precisely. An interval without an exact integral multiple of the sine wavelengths will return blurred Dirac delta functions.


I set the sampling interval to $(1/f)/4$, which is small enough to avoid aliasing. There are an integral number of wavelengths, 100*(2 Pi/500)/4, and the endpoints are matched.


testData = Table[N@Sin[500 x], 
{x, 0, 100*(2 Pi/500)/4 - (2 Pi/500)/4, (2 Pi/500)/4}];
ListLinePlot[Abs[Fourier[testData]], PlotRange->Full]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...