Skip to main content

programming - Checking the argument of user-defined function with side-effect method


Today, I answered a question of mine that asked two month ago. Please see here


Now I would like to add the argument checking in this function. Then I used a method that Mr.Wizard answered


Requirement for the arguments of Bernstein[n,i,u]



  • n must be a integer like $1,2,3,...$;

  • i must be a integer like $1,2,3,...$;

  • i should between 0 and n-1.



For instance, the built-in BernsteinBasis gives the warning information as below:


BernsteinBasis[1.2, 2, 3]


BernsteinBasis::intnm: Non-negative machine-sized integer expected at position 1 in BernsteinBasis[1.2,2,3]. >>



BernsteinBasis[1.2, 2.1, 3]



BernsteinBasis::intnm: Non-negative machine-sized integer expected at position 1 in BernsteinBasis[1.2,2.1,3]. >>


BernsteinBasis::intnm: Non-negative machine-sized integer expected at position 2 in BernsteinBasis[1.2,2.1,3]. >>



BernsteinBasis[4, 5, u]


BernsteinBasis::invidx2:Index 5 should be a machine-sized integer between 0 and 4. >>



checkArgs


Attributes[checkArgs] = {HoldAll};

(*check the number of arguments*)
checkArgs [func_[args___]] /; Length@{args} != 3 :=
Message[func::argrx, func, Length@{args}, 3]

(*check the type of the first arguments*)
checkArgs [func_[a_, b_, c_]] /; ! MatchQ[a, _Integer?NonNegative] :=
Message[func::intnm, func[a, b, c], 1]

(*check the type of second arguments*)
checkArgs [func_[a_, b_, c_]] /; ! MatchQ[b, _Integer?NonNegative] :=

Message[func::intnm, func[a, b, c], 2]

checkArgs[func_[a_, b_, c_]] /; ! (0 <= b <= a - 1) :=
Message[func::invidx, b, 0, a - 1]

(*other valid cases*)
checkArgs[other_] := True

Main implementation


Bernstein::invidx = 

"The index `1` should be a non-negative machine-sized integer betwwen `2` and `3`.";

SetAttributes[Bernstein, {Listable, NHoldAll, NumericFunction}]
(*special cases*)

Bernstein[n_, i_, u_]?checkArgs /; i < 0 || i > n := 0

Bernstein[0, 0, u_]?checkArgs := 1

Bernstein[n_, i_, u_?NumericQ]?checkArgs :=

Binomial[n, i] u^i (1 - u)^(n - i)

(*expansion of the basis of Bernstein*)
Bernstein /: PiecewiseExpand[Bernstein[n_, i_, u_]] :=
Piecewise[
{{Binomial[n, i] u^i (1 - u)^(n - i), 0 <= u <= 1},
{0, u > 1 || u < 0}}]

(*the derivatives of the basis of Bernstein*)
Bernstein /: Derivative[0, 0, k_Integer?Positive][Bernstein] :=

Function[{n, i, u},
D[
n (Bernstein[n - 1, i - 1, u] - Bernstein[n - 1, i, u]),
{u, k - 1}]
]

However, it gives the following information.



$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded. >>


$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded. >>



$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded. >>


General::stop: Further output of $RecursionLimit::reclim will be suppressed during this calculation. >>


Bernstein::intnm: Non-negative machine-sized integer expected at position >Bernstein[n_,i_,u_] in 1. >>





Update


Thanks for Mr.Wizard's revision that adding HoldForm in checkArgs to remove the recursion.


In addition, Mr.Wizard given me a hint that ultilizing the Message as a side-effect in the comment


Now I have a reference here


SyntaxInformation[f] = {"ArgumentsPattern" -> {_}};

f[1] := True
f[_] := False
f[x___] /; Message[f::argx, "f", Length@{x}] := Null

Additional, The Toad has a comment as below:



I just remembered why I don't use this in my packages... if you have different messages being thrown based on the form of the input (as I often have), then throwing messages as a side-effect of not matching the form will result in all messages being thrown



However, this demo just for one argument, and when the number of argument greater than $1$, I have any idea to deal with Message with side-effect.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...