Skip to main content

Python/Numpy array manipulation in Mathematica syntax


As a python programmer, numpy tools usually come to my mind if I want to manipulate arrays (list, matrices, ...). Is there any reference (e.g., dictionary) of how to translate numpy syntax to Mathematica syntax? For instance, assuming a is an array, I found the following translations (python code as quotes, Mathematica code as code):



  • linspace / logspace



a = np.linspace(0,10,11)




a = Array[# &, 11, {0, 10}]
(* {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10} *)


  • element selection based on condition



a[a>0]



Select[a, # > 0 &]

(* {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10} *)


  • element selection based on other boolean array



s = a>0


a[s]



s = # > 0 & /@ a

Pick[a, s]
(* {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10} *)



a[3:-2:2]



a[[4;;-3;;2]]
(* {3, 5, 7} *)


Such a correspondence list is what I am looking for. Does this already exist? If not, I believe it would be helpful to extend this Q&A post to continuously build such a list.


One thing I am trying to use just now is np.roll. Using the example from above, I am searching for a command that yields


EquivalentOfNpRoll[a,2]
(* {9, 10, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}

How would I do this? Permute seems to be an overkill. At least it was far from obvious to me how to implement this rolling permutation in a general but compact way.


Update:


From the comments:



np.roll(a,2)




RotateRight[a, 2]
(* {9, 10, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8} *)


a=np.arange(0,11,1)



a = Range[0, 10, 1]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...