Skip to main content

differential equations - How to solve a certain coupled first order PDE system


I would like to find the solution $(U,V)\equiv (U(x,t),V(x,t))$ of the following system.


\begin{equation} \displaystyle\left\{\begin{array}{l} \frac{\partial U}{\partial t}+(a+b x)\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}-(c+k_1)U+k_1V=0, \\ \frac{\partial V}{\partial t}+(a+b x)\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}-(c+k_2)V+k_2 U=0, \\ \end{array}\right. t\in [s,T] \end{equation}


with the boundary conditions (where $W$ could be $U$ and $V$)


\begin{equation} \left\{\begin{array}{l} W(x,t)=0 \ \ \text{as} \ \ x\to-\infty,\\ W(x,t)\to e^x \ \ \text{as} \ \ x\to\infty,\\ W(x,T)=\max \{ e^x-100,0\} \\ \end{array}\right. \end{equation}


Assuming that above system has a unique solution, $(U,V)$, how can I find that solution. I would be satisfied to given a reference to a paper from which I can learn a method to solve it.



Can Mathematica solve this system?


Added after I got the answer from the above system: when I modified the codes of bbgodfrey to solve the followin system :


\begin{equation} \displaystyle\left\{\begin{array}{l} \frac{\partial U}{\partial t}+(\textbf{a}_1+b x)\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}-(c+k_1)U+k_1V=0, \\ \frac{\partial V}{\partial t}+(\textbf{a}_2+b x)\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}-(c+k_2)V+k_2 U=0, \\ \end{array}\right. t\in [s,T] \end{equation}


when I run the program, Mathematican seems runs out of memory. Is there any way to fix this issues or this is because Mathematica cannot solve the new system ?



Answer



The constant c can be eliminated from the equations by a standard transformation.


eq1 = (Unevaluated[D[u[x, t], t] + (a + b x) D[u[x, t], x] - (c + k1) u[x, t] + k1 v[x, t]]
/. {u[x, t] -> uu[x, t] E^(c t), v[x, t] -> vv[x, t] E^(c t)})/E^(c t) // Simplify
(* -(k1*uu[x, t]) + k1*vv[x, t] + Derivative[0, 1][uu][x, t] +
a*Derivative[1, 0][uu][x, t] + b*x*Derivative[1, 0][uu][x, t] *)


and similarly for the second expression, designated eq2. Taking the difference between these two expressions yields


Collect[(eq1 - eq2) // Simplify, {a + b x, k1 + k2}, Simplify]
(* (k1 + k2)*(-uu[x, t] + vv[x, t]) + Derivative[0, 1][uu][x, t] - Derivative[0, 1][vv][x, t]
+ (a + b*x)*(Derivative[1, 0][uu][x, t] - Derivative[1, 0][vv][x, t]) *)

which can be rewritten as


-((k1 + k2)*zz[x, t]) + Derivative[0, 1][zz][x, t] + (a + b*x)*Derivative[1, 0][zz][x, t]

where zz == uu - vv. And, this equation can be solved



First@DSolve[% == 0, zz[x, t], {x, t}]
(* {zz[x, t] -> (a + b*x)^(k1/b + k2/b) C[1][(b t - Log[a + b x])/b]} *)

Undoing the original transformation then yields


First@Solve[% /. Rule -> Equal /. zz[x, t] -> z[x, t] E^(-c t), z[x, t]]
{* {z[x, t] -> E^(c t) (a + b*x)^(k1/b + k2/b) C[1][(b t - Log[a + b x])/b]} *)

Note that C[1] is an arbitrary function of (b t - Log[a + b x])/b, which can be chosen to satisfy the boundary conditions in x.


Alternative, Simpler Approach


DSolve cannot integrate the two equations as written in the question. However, the equations can be separated, after which DSolve can integrate them without difficulty.



r0 = First@Solve[{z[x, t] == u[x, t] - v[x, t], 
y[x, t] == u[x, t] + v[x, t] k1/k2}, {u[x, t], v[x, t]}];
eq1 = (Unevaluated[D[u[x, t], t] + (a + b x) D[u[x, t], x] - (c + k1) u[x, t] +
k1 v[x, t]] /. %) // Simplify;
eq2 = (Unevaluated[D[v[x, t], t] + (a + b x) D[v[x, t], x] - (c + k2) v[x, t] +
k2 u[x, t]] /. %%) // Simplify;

Simplify[eq1 - eq2];
r1 = Simplify[#] & /@ DSolve[% == 0, z[x, t], {x, t}][[1, 1]]
(* z[x, t] -> (a + b x)^((c + k1 + k2)/b) C[1][t - Log[a + b x]/b] *)


Simplify[eq1 + eq2 k1/k2];
r2 = Simplify[#] & /@ DSolve[% == 0, y[x, t], {x, t}][[1, 1]] /. C[1] -> C[2]
(* y[x, t] -> (a + b x)^(c/b) C[2][t - Log[a + b x]/b] *)

r0 /. {r1, r2}
(* {u[x, t] -> -((-k1 (a + b x)^((c + k1 + k2)/b)
C[1][t - Log[a + b x]/b] - k2 (a + b x)^(c/b) C[2][t - Log[a + b x]/b])/(k1 + k2)),
v[x, t] -> -((k2 (a + b x)^((c + k1 + k2)/b)
C[1][t - Log[a + b x]/b] - k2 (a + b x)^(c/b) C[2][t - Log[a + b x]/b])/(k1 + k2))} *)


Note that the solution contains two arbitrary functions C[1] and C[2] of (b t - Log[a + b x])/b, as it must, because the original equations form a second order system of advective equations.


Note also that the earlier, incomplete solution would eventually have reached the same point.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...