Skip to main content

plotting - Aligning plot axes in a graphics object


I need to align the y-axes in the plots below. I think I'm going to have to do some rasterizing and searching for vertical lines, then vary x and w. Is there a better way?



a = ListPlot[{{0, 0}, {16, 20}},
PlotRange -> {{0, 16}, {0, 20}}, Frame -> True];
b = ListPlot[{{0, 0}, {160000, 200000}},
PlotRange -> {{0, 160000}, {0, 200000}}, Frame -> True];
x = 3.1; w = 5;
Graphics[{LightYellow, Rectangle[{0, 0}, {7, 8}],
Inset[a, {x, 5.5}, Center, {w, Automatic}],
Inset[b, {3.1, 2.2}, Center, {5, Automatic}]},
PlotRange -> {{0, 7}, {0, 8}}, ImageSize -> 300]


enter image description here



Answer



This is a common (and very big) annoyance when creating graphics with subfigures. The most general (but somewhat tedious) solution is setting an explicit ImagePadding:


GraphicsColumn[
{Show[a, ImagePadding -> {{40, 10}, {Automatic, Automatic}}],
Show[b, ImagePadding -> {{40, 10}, {Automatic, Automatic}}]}]

Mathematica graphics


This is tedious because you need to come up with values manually. There are hacks to retrieve the ImagePadding that is used by the Automatic setting. I asked a question about this before. Using Heike's solution from there, we can try to automate the process:


padding[g_Graphics] := 

With[{im = Image[Show[g, LabelStyle -> White, Background -> White]]},
BorderDimensions[im]]

ip = 1 + Max /@ Transpose[{First@padding[a], First@padding[b]}]

GraphicsColumn[
Show[#, ImagePadding -> {ip, {Automatic, Automatic}}] & /@ {a, b}]

The padding detection that's based on rasterizing might be off by a pixel, so I added 1 for safety.


Warning: the automatic padding depends on the image size! The tick marks or labels might "hang out" a bit. You might need to use padding@Show[a, ImageSize -> 100] to get something that'll work for smaller sizes too.



I have used this method myself several times, and while it's a bit tedious at times, it works well (much better than figuring out the image padding manually).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...