Skip to main content

plotting - ContourPlot, problem with mesh


I have to plot this trigonometric function:


    v1[y1_, y2_] := 7.6 NIntegrate[-(1/Sqrt[(x1 - y1)^2 + (-y2)^2]) 2/(4 Pi^2)
(0.71 Cos[a + ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]]^2 Sin[a + ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]] -

0.5 Sin[a + ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]]^3)/(Sin[a + ArcTan[y2/( y1 - x1)]]^4
(Cot[a + ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]]^2 - 0.26 + 0.51 I)
(Cot[a + ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]]^2 - 0.26 -0.51 I)) 1/Cos[a],
{a, 0, Pi}, {x1, 1 , 2}, MaxRecursion -> 4]

if I do a ContourPlotof the real part of the function like


ContourPlot[Re[v1[y1,y2]],{y1,0,5},{y2,0,5}]

I obtain something like this with some white voids


enter image description here



So, after reading How to plot the contour of f[x,y]==0 if always f[x,y]>=0 I increased the MaxRecursion and PlotPoint (here only two of of those made), but the problem remain.


 ContourPlot[Re[v1[y1,y2]],{y1,0,5},{y2,0,5},MaxRecursion->1,PlotPoint->100]

enter image description here


ContourPlot[Re[v1[y1,y2]],{y1,0,5},{y2,0,5},MaxRecursion->2,PlotPoint->20,Mesh->All]

enter image description here


Here I can see is a problem of the mesh. I tried many combination of MaxRecursion and PlotPoints, but I can't find a solution.I only have to increase more? Because I tried a MR->2, PP->100 but after 2 days Mathematica didn't give me a result. So I ask you if there is a method to parallelize it?


EDIT: Sorry I didn't talk about the regularization of my function! I took the integrand argoument without 1/Cos[a]


g[b_]= (0.71 Cos[b]^2 Sin[b] -  0.5 Sin[b]^3)/(Sin[b]^4(Cot[b]^2 - 0.26 + 0.51 I)(Cot[b]^2 - 0.26 -0.51 I))


and I regularized it with


(g[a+ ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]] - g[ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)] + Pi/2] -
g'[ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)] + Pi/2] (a - Pi/2)) (1/Cos[a])

So in a=Pithe function doesn't diverge



Answer



You should never get to the point where you are sending a function like this to Plot or ContourPlot until you've verified that it works, and works in a reasonable amount of time. If it takes forever to evaluate but it does evaluate reliably, then you should create a list and use the corresponding ListPlot.


g = (0.71 Cos[#]^2 Sin[#] - 
0.5 Sin[#]^3)/(Sin[#]^4 (Cot[#]^2 - 0.26 + 0.51 I) (Cot[#]^2 -

0.26 - 0.51 I)) &;
integrand[y1_, y2_, x1_,
a_] = (g[a + ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)]] -
g[ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)] + Pi/2] -
g'[ArcTan[y2/(y1 - x1)] + Pi/2] (a - Pi/2)) (1/Cos[a]);

v1[y1_?NumericQ, y2_?NumericQ, intopts : OptionsPattern[]] :=
7.6 NIntegrate[integrand[y1, y2, x1, a], {a, 0, Pi}, {x1, 1, 2},
Evaluate[FilterRules[{intopts}, Options[NIntegrate]]]]


Notice the v1 function takes options for NIntegrate, which allows you to tweak things like MaxRecursions or WorkingPrecision if you wish to. Next make a 2D list of values


dx = 5/35.(*Set this to a smaller value,like 0.05 for a better plot*);

Monitor[twodlist =
Table[Quiet@v1[y1, y2, MaxRecursion -> 5], {y2, 0, 5, dx}, {y1, 0,
5, dx}];, {y1, y2}]

GraphicsRow[{ListPlot3D[Re@twodlist, PlotRange -> All,
DataRange -> {{0, 5}, {0, 5}}, AxesLabel -> {"y2", "y1"},
ColorFunction -> Hue],

ListContourPlot[Re[twodlist], PlotRange -> All,
DataRange -> {{0, 5}, {0, 5}}, FrameLabel -> {"y2", "y1"}]},
ImageSize -> 600]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...