Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Problem with evaluation of the integral


I am trying to evaluate the following integral:


Integrate[(1 + k^2)/(2 k Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]) - 1/(2 k ), k]


which does not work. Mathematica is just unable to find the primitive function. However, if I separate this integral into two integrals



Integrate[(1 + k^2)/(2 k Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]), k] + Integrate[-1/(2 k ), k]


Mathematica yields


1/4 (ArcSinh[(1 + 2 k^2)/Sqrt[3]] - Log[2 + k^2 + 2 Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]])


I don't understand why the first formula does not work. Am I missing some conditions or something?



Answer



Here are a few ways that work. These give answers that differ by a constant.


Substitutions


ClearAll[trysub];
SetAttributes[trysub, HoldFirst];
trysub[Integrate[int_, x_], sub_Equal, u_] := Module[{sol, newint},

sol = Solve[sub, x]; (* should check Solve *)
newint = int*Dt[x] /. Last[sol] /. Dt[u] -> 1 // Simplify;
Integrate[newint, u] /. Last@Solve[sub, u] // Simplify (* should check Solve *)
];

Try the expression inside Sqrt:


Assuming[u > 1 && k ∈ Reals,
int1 = trysub[
Integrate[(1 + k^2)/(2 k Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]) - 1/(2 k), k],
1 + k^2 + k^4 == u, u]

]
(* 1/4 (ArcSinh[(1 + 2 k^2)/Sqrt[3]] - Log[4 + 2 k^2 + 4 Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]]) *)

Try the Sqrt (squared):


Assuming[u > 1 && k ∈ Reals,
int2 = trysub[
Integrate[(1 + k^2)/(2 k Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]) - 1/(2 k), k],
1 + k^2 + k^4 == u^2, u]
]
(*

1/4 (-2 Log[1 + Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]] +
Log[(1 + 2 k^2 + 2 Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]) (2 - 2 k^2 + 4 Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4])])
*)

Try u = k^2:


Assuming[u > 0 && k ∈ Reals,
int3 = trysub[
Integrate[(1 + k^2)/(2 k Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]) - 1/(2 k), k],
k^2 == u, u]
]

(* 1/4 (ArcSinh[(1 + 2 k^2)/Sqrt[3]] - Log[2 + k^2 + 2 Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]]) *)

Use the real Surd instead of the complex Sqrt.


int4 = Simplify[
Integrate[(1 + k^2)/(2 k Surd[1 + k^2 + k^4, 2]) - 1/(2 k), k],
k ∈ Reals]
(* 1/4 (ArcSinh[(1 + 2 k^2)/Sqrt[3]] - Log[2 + k^2 + 2 Sqrt[1 + k^2 + k^4]]) *)

I believe this works because 1/Sqrt[u] is rewritten as Power[u, -1/2], where as 1/Surd[pu, 2] is unaltered. For an unknown reason (to me), Mathematica fails to come up with a key transformation of the integral in the Sqrt case, but succeeds in the Surd case.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...