Skip to main content

finite element method - Solving Navier-Stokes equations for a steady-state compressible viscous flow in a 2D axisymmetric step


Note: you may apply or follow the edits on the code here in this GitHub Gist


I'm trying to follow this post to solve Navier-Stokes equations for a compressible viscous flow in a 2D axisymmetric step. The geometry is :


enter image description here



lc = 0.03;
rc = 0.01;
xp = 0.01;
c = 0.005;
rp = rc - c;
lp = lc - xp;
Subscript[T, 0] = 300;
Subscript[\[Eta], 0] = 1.846*10^-5;
Subscript[P, 1] = 6*10^5 ;
Subscript[P, 0] = 10^5;

Subscript[c, P] = 1004.9;
Subscript[c, \[Nu]] = 717.8;
Subscript[R, 0] = Subscript[c, P] - Subscript[c, \[Nu]];
\[CapitalOmega] = RegionDifference[
Rectangle[{0, 0}, {lc, rc}],
Rectangle[{xp, 0}, {xp + lp, rp}]];

And meshing:


Needs["NDSolve`FEM`"];
mesh = ToElementMesh[\[CapitalOmega],

"MaxBoundaryCellMeasure" -> 0.00001,
MaxCellMeasure -> {"Length" -> 0.0008},
"MeshElementConstraint" -> 20, MeshQualityGoal -> "Maximal"][
"Wireframe"]

enter image description here


Where the model is axisymmetric around the x axis, the governing equations including conservation equations of mass, momentum and heat can be written as:


$$ \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( \rho \nu_x \right)+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(r \rho \nu_r\right)=0 \tag{1}$$


$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( \rho \nu_x^2+\mathring{R} \rho T \right)+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( r \left( \rho \nu_r \nu_x + \eta \frac{\partial \nu_x}{\partial r} \right)\right) \tag{2}$$


$$ \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( \rho \nu_x \nu_r+\eta \frac{\partial \nu_r}{\partial x} \right)+ \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( r \left( \rho \nu_r ^2 +\mathring{R} \rho T \right) \right)=0 \tag{3}$$



$$\rho c_\nu\left( \nu_x \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} + \nu_r \frac{\partial T}{\partial r} \right)+ \mathring{R} \rho T \left( \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r \nu_r \right)+ \frac{\partial \nu_x}{\partial x} \right)+ \eta \left( 2 \left( \frac{\partial \nu_x}{\partial x} \right)^2+ 2 \left( \frac{\partial \nu_r}{\partial r} \right)^2+ \left( \frac{\partial \nu_r}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial \nu_x}{\partial r} \right)^2 \\ -\frac{2}{3}\left( \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( r \nu_r \right) + \frac{\partial \nu_x}{\partial x} \right)^2 \right)=0 \tag{4}$$


eqn1 = D[\[Rho][x, r]*Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], x] + 
D[r*\[Rho][x, r]*Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r], r]/r == 0 ;
eqn2 = D[\[Rho][x, r]*Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r]^2 +
Subscript[R, 0] \[Rho][x, r]*T[x, r], x] +
D[r*(\[Rho][x, r]*Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r]*
Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r] +
Subscript[\[Eta], 0]*D[Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], r]), r]/
r == 0 ;
eqn3 = D[\[Rho][x, r]*Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r]*

Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r] +
Subscript[\[Eta], 0]*D[Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r], x], x] +
D[r*(\[Rho][x, r]*Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r]^2 +
Subscript[R, 0] \[Rho][x, r]*T[x, r]), r]/r == 0;
eqn4 = Subscript[
c, \[Nu]]*\[Rho][x,
r]*(Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r]*D[T[x, r], x] +
Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r]*D[T[x, r], r]) +
Subscript[R, 0]*\[Rho][x, r]*
T[x, r]*(D[Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], x] +

D[r*Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r], x]/r) + (2*
D[Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], x]^2 +
2*D[Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r],
r]^2 + (D[Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], r] +

D[Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r],
x])^2 - ((D[Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], x] +
D[r*Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r], x]/r)^2)*2/3)*
Subscript[\[Eta], 0] == 0;
eqns = {eqn1, eqn2, eqn3, eqn4};


And the boundary conditions are:



  1. constant pressure at inlet

  2. constant pressure at outlet

  3. axis of symmetry

  4. no slip


Implemented as


bc1 = Subscript[R, 0] \[Rho][0, r]*Subscript[T, 0] == Subscript[P, 1] 

bc2 = Subscript[R, 0] \[Rho][lc, r]*Subscript[T, 0] == Subscript[P, 0]
bc3 = DirichletCondition[{Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, 0] == 0,
D[Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r], r] == 0,
D[Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r], r] == 0, D[\[Rho][x, r], r] == 0,
D[T[x, r], r] == 0}, r == 0 && (0 <= x <= xp )]
bc4 = DirichletCondition[{Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r] == 0,
Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r] ==
0}, (0 <= r <= rp && x == xp ) || (r == rp &&
xp <= x <= xp + lp) || (r == rc && 0 <= x <= lc) ] == 0
bcs = {bc1, bc2, bc3, bc4};


When I try to solve the equations:


{\[Nu]xsol, \[Nu]rsol, \[Rho]sol, Tsol} = 
NDSolveValue[{eqns, , bcs}, {Subscript[\[Nu], x], Subscript[\[Nu],
r], \[Rho], T}, {x, r} \[Element] mesh,
Method -> {"FiniteElement",
"InterpolationOrder" -> {Subscript[\[Nu], x] -> 2,
Subscript[\[Nu], r] -> 2, \[Rho] -> 1, T -> 1},
"IntegrationOrder" -> 5}];


I get the errors:



NDSolveValue::femnr: {x,r}[Element] is not a valid region specification.



and



Set::shape: Lists {[Nu]xsol,[Nu]rsol,Tsol,[Rho]sol} and NDSolveValue[<<1>>] are not the same shape.



Googling the errors does not offer that much of help (e.g. here). I would appreciate if you could help me know What is the issue and how I can solve it.


P.S.1. The NDSolveValue femnr error was caused by [ "Wireframe"] term at the end of meshing command changing it to



mesh = ToElementMesh[\[CapitalOmega], 
"MaxBoundaryCellMeasure" -> 0.00001,
MaxCellMeasure -> {"Length" -> 0.0008},
"MeshElementConstraint" -> 20, MeshQualityGoal -> "Maximal"];
mesh["Wireframe"]

resolves the issue.


P.S.2. There is an extra ==0 at the end of boundary condition 4 it was edited to:


bc4 = DirichletCondition[{Subscript[\[Nu], r][x, r] == 0, 
Subscript[\[Nu], x][x, r] ==

0}, (0 <= r <= rp && x == xp) || (r == rp &&
xp <= x <= xp + lp) || (r == rc && 0 <= x <= lc)];

at this moment the second error still persists and a new error was added:



NDSolveValue::deqn Equation or list of equations expected instead of Null in the first argument ...



P.S.3 There were multiple issues. So I decided to use this Github Gist to further edit the code.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...