Skip to main content

performance tuning - How to rapidly find the nearest pairs of points in different clusters


Background


For speed up this question or this question,I have such need.


Current try:


Suppose I have $3$ clusters of points:


list = {{{0, 0}, {.2, 0}}, {{2, 1}, {2, 2}, {2, 2.5}}, {{1.5, 
6}, {1.6, 7}, {1.4, 8}, {1.9, 10}}};
plot = ListPlot[list, Axes -> False, Frame -> True, PlotLegends ->Automatic,
FrameTicks -> None]



I want to find the closest pairs of points, each point in a different cluster. My current method:


Method one based on Tuples


tuplesMethod[list_] := 
First[MinimalBy[Tuples[#], EuclideanDistance @@ # &]] & /@
Subsets[list, {2}]

Method two based on Nearest


nearestMethod[list_] := 

Module[{f, var1, var2}, f = Nearest /@ Most[list];
var2 = Drop[list, #] & /@ Range[Length[list] - 1];
var1 = MapThread[Catenate /@ # /@ #2 &, {f, var2}];
Catenate[
Map[First[MinimalBy[#, EuclideanDistance @@ # &]] &,
Flatten[{var1, var2}, List /@ {2, 3, 4, 1, 5}], {2}]]]

Usage:


minDistPoints = tuplesMethod[list]



{{{0.2,0},{2,1}},{{0.2,0},{1.5,6}},{{2,2.5},{1.5,6}}}



Show it:


Show[plot, Epilog -> Line /@ minDistPoints]



But the current method is too slow, if clusters up to 10,the execution time will be cannot stand:


testPoint[n_] := (SeedRandom[2];

FindClusters[RandomReal[10 n, {20 n, 2}], n])

GeneralUtilities`BenchmarkPlot[{tuplesMethod,
nearestMethod}, testPoint, 2, TimeConstraint -> 50,
"IncludeFits" -> True]



Answer



The Nearest method should do well, but you need to make sure that it is only applied once for each cluster. Here is how I would code it. First a helper function, that finds the nearest members between one cluster and a list of other clusters:


icluster[i_, rest_]:=Module[{r, near,distances, rank,pos},

(* create a single list of other points *)
r = Catenate[rest];

(* apply NearestFunction to the list of other points *)
near = Nearest[i][r][[All, 1]];

(* compute distance squared between the nearest member and the other point *)
distances = Total[(near-r)^2, {2}];

(* rank the distances *)

rank = Ordering @ Ordering @ distances;

(* find the minimum rank for each cluster. Probably could be sped up *)
pos = Flatten @ Position[
rank,
Alternatives @@ Min /@ Internal`PartitionRagged[rank, Length/@rest]
];

(* extract near point and other points for minimum ranks *)
Transpose[{near[[pos]], r[[pos]]}]

]

We use this helper function to get the members of the clusters closest to each other:


nearestClusterMembers[list_] := Catenate @ Table[
icluster[list[[i]], list[[i+1 ;; -1]]],
{i, Length[list]-1}
]

For your simple example:


nearestClusterMembers[

{
{{0,0},{.2,0}},
{{2,1},{2,2},{2,2.5}},
{{1.5,6},{1.6,7},{1.4,8},{1.9,10}}
}
]


{{{0.2, 0}, {2, 1}}, {{0.2, 0}, {1.5, 6}}, {{2, 2.5}, {1.5, 6}}}




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...