Skip to main content

functions - Derivative before Numerical Integration


I need to take the derivative of a function that have a numerical integration on it. The variable in which the integration will be taken is not the same as the one in which the derivative will be taken, so I can take the derivative before integrating the expression. I have tried the following:


nfun[x1_?NumericQ, x2_?NumericQ] := NIntegrate[Cos[x1^x/x2], {x, 2, 3}]
tvar = {x1 -> 0.1, x2 -> 0.3};
D[nfun[x1, x2], x1] /. tvar

And it worked pretty fine. But my real expression has multiple variables and multiple numerical integrations, so I would like to take a list of arguments as input. I also have to take one derivative for each variable. So I tried the following:


nfun1[arg : {_?NumericQ ..}] := NIntegrate[Cos[#1^x/#2], {x, 2, 3}] & @@ arg


But when I try:


D[nfun1[x1, x2], x1] /. tvar

It doesn't work...


I have tried what is proposed in here: Derivative after numerical Integration (2nd answer), but I couldn't get it to work Do you have any sugestions?


I hope I could express myself correctly




Edit: As Mark and Myke showed, the syntax in the second try is wrong, it should be:


D[nfun1[{x1, x2}], x1] /. tvar


But still not working :(



Answer



First note that your first solution generates a spurious complex part.


nfun[x1_?NumericQ, x2_?NumericQ] := NIntegrate[Cos[x1^x/x2], {x, 2, 3}]
tvar = {x1 -> 0.1, x2 -> 0.3};
D[nfun[x1, x2], x1] /. tvar // RepeatedTiming
(* {0.17, -0.00527135 - 9.7792*10^-9 I} *)

We will also see that it's rather slow to differentiate, too. This is because Mathematica is computing the derivative numerically, which causes the integral to be computed many times. This integral has a symbolic derivative, which can be used to speed up the calculation of the derivative.


Using Ifis an easy way to get the protection of NumericQ but still be able to differentiate the expression. (Update: I did have ConditionalExpression, which for some reason was working in my original session, but shouldn't have. It doesn't hold its arguments.)



nfun1[arg_List] := If[arg ∈ Reals, NIntegrate[Cos[#1^x/#2], {x, 2, 3}]] & @@ arg

There is no spurious imaginary part to the derivative and it is almost 50 times faster, too. (The Reals can be replaced with the Complexes.)


nfun1[{x1, x2}]
D[%, x1] /. tvar // RepeatedTiming
(*
If[(x1 | x2) ∈ Reals, NIntegrate[Cos[x1^x/x2], {x, 2, 3}]]
{0.0045, -0.00527132}
*)


Update: I had a function NEval was considerably faster than the ConditionalExpression "solution." The arguments to NEval consisted an expression expr to be evaluated when the rest of the arguments are numeric. There is also a special derivative rule, so that differentiating NEval simply differentiates expr. While one is naturally initially fond of all one's creations, there seems little need for it in this case. See edit history, if curious.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Mathematica: 3D plot based on combined 2D graphs

I have several sigmoidal fits to 3 different datasets, with mean fit predictions plus the 95% confidence limits (not symmetrical around the mean) and the actual data. I would now like to show these different 2D plots projected in 3D as in but then using proper perspective. In the link here they give some solutions to combine the plots using isometric perspective, but I would like to use proper 3 point perspective. Any thoughts? Also any way to show the mean points per time point for each series plus or minus the standard error on the mean would be cool too, either using points+vertical bars, or using spheres plus tubes. Below are some test data and the fit function I am using. Note that I am working on a logit(proportion) scale and that the final vertical scale is Log10(percentage). (* some test data *) data = Table[Null, {i, 4}]; data[[1]] = {{1, -5.8}, {2, -5.4}, {3, -0.8}, {4, -0.2}, {5, 4.6}, {1, -6.4}, {2, -5.6}, {3, -0.7}, {4, 0.04}, {5, 1.0}, {1, -6.8}, {2, -4.7}, {3, -1.