Skip to main content

programming - How to define the Bernstein function like the built-in BernsteinBasis?


We know the Bernstein function defined as below:


$$B_{n,i}(u)=\binom n i u^i(1-u)^{n-i}$$


And we define $B_{n,i}(u)=0$ when $i<0 $ or $i>n$


In addition, the first derivative of $B_{n,i}(u)$ has the below relationship:


$$B'_{n,i}(u)=n\left[B_{n-1,i-1}(u)-B_{n-1,i}(u)\right]$$



So I can utilize this equation to calculate the derivative of order $k$


$$B^{(k)}_{n,i}(u)=n(n-1)\cdots (n-k+1)\\ \left[\{B_{n-k,i-k}(u),\cdots,B_{n-k,i}(u)\} .coefficient\right]$$


Here,$coefficient$ has the style (1,-3,3,1),(1, -4, 6, -4, 1),etc


Implementation


Bernstein[n_, i_, u_] /; i < 0 || i > n := 0
Bernstein[0, 0, u_] := 1
Bernstein[n_, i_, u_?NumericQ] := Binomial[n, i] u^i (1 - u)^(n - i)

The derivative of Bernstein


D[Bernstein[n_, i_, u_], {u_, k_}] ^:=

Module[{coeff, body},
coeff = Times @@ Array[n - # &, k, 0];
body =
Array[Bernstein[n - k, #, u] &, k + 1, i - k].
CoefficientList[(1 - u)^k, u];
coeff* body
]
(*=======================================*)
D[Bernstein[n_, i_, u_], u_] ^:= D[Bernstein[n, i, u], {u, 1}]


However, the Mathematica give me the warining information



enter image description here



Expand the expression


PiecewiseExpand[expr_] ^:=
expr /. Bernstein[n_, i_, u_Symbol] :>
Binomial[n, i] u^i (1 - u)^(n - i)



enter image description here





Tesing


Successful case


Bernstein[3, 2, .4](*0.288*)

D[Bernstein[3, 2, u], u]



3 (Bernstein[2, 1, u] - Bernstein[2, 2, u])

D[Bernstein[3, 2, u], {u, 2}]


6 (Bernstein[1, 0, u] - 2 Bernstein[1, 1, u])

Failture


D[Bernstein[3, 2, u], u] // PiecewiseExpand



no expantion >_<



Question



  • How to fix the warining information about UpSetDelayed?

  • Is it possible to implement the derivative of $B_{n,i}(u)$ by rule-based solution? I have a trial, but failed.




My trial



D[Berns[n_, i_, u_], {u_, k_}] ^:=
Do[
Bernstein[n, i, u] /.
Bernstein[x_, y_, z_] :>
x (Bernstein[x - 1, y - 1, u] - Bernstein[x - 1, y, z]), {k}]
(*failture*)

Built-in function


D[BernsteinBasis[6, 3, u], {u, 3}]



enter image description here



Obviously, the Mathematica utilizes a recursive method by observing the result.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...